DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at getting a bull bar for a while now, but I just came to the realization that with any bull bar that I can find I would have to sacrifice my tow hooks, and with moving to North Alaska I feel like those might come in handy for "just in case" situations in the ice and snow.... So I still want a bull bar b/c they look badass and are somewhere to mount a bunch of lights, but are there any that wouldn't force me to sacrifice the tow hooks?

On a separate note... do y'all know of any light bars that would look equally as bad ass, lol? I saw a N-Fab pre-runner style light bar, but have y'all seen any that look a little heavier duty?

Thanks for the help guys!
-d

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was in the same situation as you. On my previous 2003 RAM I had a really nice KC Light Bar which mounted my Off-Road Lights and retained my tow hooks. On my current 2011 RAM, I purchased a Smittybilt Street Light Bar from AutoAnything. Unfortunately, KC does not yet sell a Light Bar for the Gen. 4 1500 Rams.The Smittybilt Light Bar mounts to the 2 front License Plate holes and is actually quite sturdy. It can hold up to 4 lights and of course you can retain your tow hooks. It is shown in my signature photo. I have not yet found a Bull Bar that does not sacrifice the use of your tow hooks. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! Ya, I think I'm SOL on getting a bull bar and retaining use of the tow hooks, which blows.... That smittybuilt light bar isn't bad though, and Autoanything also had the KC light bar that's thicker, but like you said, only for the 2500 and 3500s in Gen 4... I'll keep looking around... and damn I didn't realize how expensive off-road lights are! lol

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
could get a front end replacement or brush guard. But I say get a light bar. They do make light bars that mount of the front tag mounts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Aries bull bar lets you mount it up with the tow hooks still intact, but they would be un-usable so you might as well take them off? How sturdy is that bull bar? I do want something that will provide a small amount of protection, although I know the only way to really get any protection would be to replace the bumper with a very heavy duty one because I know that grill guards don't generally protect you from anything going very fast... I actually hit a tree stump (little 2foot tall bugger I didn't see) in my F150 probably some 10 years ago going about 10mph off-road and it bent my grill guard into my bumper and set the air bags off... I dont know for sure if the damage would have been about the same or worse without the grill guard, but it cost me a couple grand because those airbags were so damned expensive to get replaced... so long story short, I'm not naive about how much protection any of these provide against deer hits, and I know nothing will provide any kind of protection against a moose hit, but I want something that will provide a little that I can mount lights to that I think will provide a lot more protection than any grill guard/brush guard/ bull bar/whatever will provide.... So any insight! :)

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Personally for what you're wanting to do I'd go with the light bar.

Upstater has a pretty bad ass one on his truck. I'm sure if you PMed him he'd be happy to tell yo about it, type, cost, where he got it etc

below is a link to a thread he started when he put on his light bar...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=767090&postcount=1

Exco

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I've seen Upstaters, and ya it looks badass! It's the N-Fab Prerunner... I just have a hard time spending $400 on a light bar when you still have to spend another $150-$200 for the lights...... The Smittybuilt lightbar is pretty nice and relatively cheap, but it's still $130 for just a bar.... ugh... I'm too damn picky! LOL.. now if only I had the equipment up here that I have back on the farm at my parents' house... then I'd just build exactly what I want.....

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
now if only I had the equipment up here that I have back on the farm at my parents' house... then I'd just build exactly what I want.....

It sounds like you need to go say hello to Mom and Dad... maybe make a weekend of it...

I had a bull bar on my '08 QC. I believe it was called "hunter". I got it on eBay (just do a search for 'em on eBay) for about $200, and it was about the cheapest that I could find anywhere, and I think it was a little better looking than most.

I think that you'll discover that you're gonna need to spend a couple hundred bucks to get what you're looking for.... if you don't go visit the folks and make your own.

good luck and be sure to post pics when you find what you've been looking for

Exco

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just installed a Steelcraft bull bar on my truck yesterday. It's very solidly mounted, it's bolted to the bumper bolts, then braced to the frame where the tow hooks would be mounted. It would allow for the bull bar to take a solid hit...only problem is the bull bar itself is too flimsy to handle the hit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts