DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sometime last month I came across a thread where there were instructions w/ pictures of how to remove OEM bumper on a 4th Gen Ram 1500. I've been searching for the past hour, and will keep scrolling through, but if you know which thread I'm referring to or are the one who posted it, link please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Don't know the thread, but it is not that complicated. Just start removing bolts and it will all come off. When I put my Fab 4 bumper on it was pretty straight forward. If you have park sensors disconnect the harness form the body side (located towards the drivers side on my 2015). Look underneath and you should see 4 bolts on each side to remove for the main bumper and tow hooks.

What are you trying to do? That just takes off the main bumper.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
Snow plowing is likely in Alaska

i changed out my bumper & grille

this had to come off too

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
some closer pix

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just start removing bolts and it will all come off. When I put my Fab 4 bumper on it was pretty straight forward.

FabFours? Which model?

And I was going to cut down on labor costs for the shop putting on the FabFour Elite on for me. (I'd do it, but I have a ridiculously busy work schedule this month and rather not try and do it alone)

Anyways, the place called me back and said they aren't going to charge me for that labor because the only place I have available to do work at isn't open the day I have off before takin' the truck in. Basically I'm getting charged half the labor cost. Which should, according to them, be 3-4 hours. Relatively speaking I think that is roughly what it would take to do the whole thing myself, but I'm not 100% on that.

How long did it take you to do it yourself? Removal, install, lights, done.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
If you want to take out your grille, which i was changing out, the headlights are right there with only a piece of white plastic that has to be moved an inch to take out each headlight

I missed a good chance to switch to brighter bulbs in the lights when they were out

side note:
if you ever do take your headlights out, something no one seems to mention is that, there are vents in the headlights, don't not move them.
If you do, the headlights will build up moisture inside of the lens

In this pix, you should notice 2 gray caps, those are the vents, yours may be a different color

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to take out your grille, which i was changing out, the headlights are right there with only a piece of white plastic that has to be moved an inch to take out each headlight

So for the grille to come out the headlights have to come out, and for the bumper to come off the grille has to come off. Right?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
FabFours? Which model?

And I was going to cut down on labor costs for the shop putting on the FabFour Elite on for me. (I'd do it, but I have a ridiculously busy work schedule this month and rather not try and do it alone)

Anyways, the place called me back and said they aren't going to charge me for that labor because the only place I have available to do work at isn't open the day I have off before takin' the truck in. Basically I'm getting charged half the labor cost. Which should, according to them, be 3-4 hours. Relatively speaking I think that is roughly what it would take to do the whole thing myself, but I'm not 100% on that.

How long did it take you to do it yourself? Removal, install, lights, done.
It probably took me about 6-7 hours following the instructions that came with it. I was not in a hurry and took several breaks and I was working alone. My truck is a 2015.
The instructions have some steps that you do not have to do on the 2015 like remove the front inner fender liner. There is an access door in the liner now.
The wanted you to remove the headlights but I found I did not have to. They said to remove the fender flares and not reinstall them. I did not like the looks so i figured out where to trim them and reinstalled them.

All total the job was not that bad. The hardest part was lifting it into position as it is heavy. I had a double pulley set up bolted to my garage ceiling but it was still a struggle to get it up and tied off because of the weight.

Just make sure they mount it low enough to leave a good sized gap below the headlights. I had mine up close and ended up breaking the seal on the head light and got moisture in it so had to buy a new one. I have mine down about a half inch below the headlight now and it is not hitting anymore.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It probably took me about 6-7 hours following the instructions that came with it

Good to know. The shop should have 1-2 guys on it from what I understand (which doesn't double the labor cost thankfully) and then they said typically when they do heavy bumpers like this they have 3-4 other guys come lift and hold it in place while they bolt it in. Team work is a blessing I suppose.

Anyways, when I spoke with them today, they said not to worry about the front bumper, they are only going to charge me the quoted 3-4 hours install time. I paid for the bumper in full, so now I just owe shipping and whatever they charge for labor, which is roughly $105/hr.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just make sure they mount it low enough to leave a good sized gap below the headlights. I had mine up close and ended up breaking the seal on the head light and got moisture in it so had to buy a new one. I have mine down about a half inch below the headlight now and it is not hitting anymore.

Also, can you throw a pic up of the spacing between the headlight and the bumper if you get a chance this evening?

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
Not quite, the best way to get the headlights out is to remove the grille

Removing the grille for any other reason then pulling the headlights would just make pulling the bumper a bit easier & i don't believe necessary.
It may be necessary to do the upgrade that you are doing
Removing the grill to R&R the STOCK bumper would save your paint job from being scratched

Headlight R&R, the guy didn't put a towel down on the bumper facia when he removed the grille & there is a fair chance that the grille scraped across the bumper facia & scratched the paint

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptcqtJg189s

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright so after watching the previous video, and another I'd seen before as a refresher and reconfirmation:

1. Remove plastic liner above radiator
2. Undo all 10mm bolts holding grille in place
3. Access to headlights (if necessary)
4. Remove 8mm screw behind bumper inside each wheel well, pull back plastic and remove 10mm holding upper trim in place (if applicable)
5. Remove air dampener
6. Disconnect fog lamp cables
7. remove the 6 18mm bolts holding bumper to frame
8. Drink beer in victory or defeat

They said I don't have to worry about it, but I may do it anyways. Just to make it go that much quicker and guarantee I get her back same day. I'll just place all the bolts back where they go so the guys can see what goes where.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Also, can you throw a pic up of the spacing between the headlight and the bumper if you get a chance this evening?
I measured it with a tape and it is 1/2". Just after it is mounted drive for a couple of days and check the bumper below the lights to see if there are any marks from it hitting. The body has quite a bit of flex when going over bumps and is why mine was hitting when it was so close.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I measured it with a tape and it is 1/2". Just after it is mounted drive for a couple of days and check the bumper below the lights to see if there are any marks from it hitting. The body has quite a bit of flex when going over bumps and is why mine was hitting when it was so close.

awesome, thank you! I'll let them know when they install it that others with the same brand made the recommendation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a pic of how high I had it at first. I did not think about the body flexing on the frame when I put it on.

Exact model I'm getting. Black Steel Elite w/ Full Grille Guard. ITS SO SEXY!!!!

Again, I will let them know about the spacing for the headlights. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a pic of how high I had it at first. I did not think about the body flexing on the frame when I put it on.
Hey brother just wanted to say thanks again for that information.

They put it on and it looks a little bit lower than 1/2 in. I can fit my index finger between the bottom of the headlight and the top portion of the bumper, so their is definitely adequate space between the two without it sitting too low.

Did you do anything to the suspension to help offset the weight?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
You should be good to go then if you can put your finger in there. I can get me little finger in mine. No I did not do anything. I think I only lost less then 1/2 inch in the front with the bumper on. I do have some Bilsteins to put on but I procrastinate a lot so will get to it sometime.

Lets see some pics of the new bumper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.