DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the fourm, not my first ram truck. First one with this problem.

I purchased this 2002 ram 1500 with the 5.9 Magnum recently. i am burning a qt of oil every 100 highway miles. dose'nt seem to use it if driving around town at low speeds. It runs really good with no codes and 126000 miles.

It blows black smoke when you jump on it. I pulled the TB off to check the plenum gasket and no pooling oil maybe a little residue but no pools. pulled all the plugs and they all had oil deposits on them. pulled the O2's and they are in bad shape with oil residue build up.

My thoughts on this is :
1. PCV valve
2. valves are set incorrectly

Can anyone think of something i may be overlooking?

I ordered a Mopar PCV and will install in the morning when the dealership opens.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That's a good place to start, that's a lot of oil. If you bought it used could be the owner took real bad care of its service. I'd do a compression test on it.

1. Valve guides and stem seals
2. Oil rings.....but I'd have a real hard time thinking this was the issue.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I would concur that valve guides and seals would be a good place to start. If their leaking, your compression would still be good. And your plugs would be oily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. i'm keeping my fingers crossed on it being the PCV, i know i'm losing a little through there because the hose interior is moist with oil. I did notice that it had a recently installed water pump which if it overheated would indicate possible valve seal damage. guess I should do a leak down test before I change the seals just to be safe. just have to buy the tool

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't believe its the plenum gasket, i have no pools of oil just a light sheen of oil in the pan. I removed the TB took a wire and wrapped it around cloth and fed it into the intake towards the rear of the intake ad yielded no considerable oil on the cloth. I wish it was the plenum at this point. and yes i would definatly do the hughs repair Kit:LOL:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Well I have the same issue you are having (not nearly as bad though) but to be fair my engine was run with a stuck closed thermostat for over a year (in my dads words; "drives fine to me") so I doupt that overheating it once or twice would do anything.

The oil is probably not colecting because it is being burnt whenever you get on it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The gathering point on my 2000 5.2 was in the back passenger side corner. Wasn't a lot but once I put the Hugh's repair on I noticed a difference in performance and little to no oil usage between changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow i will be driving 120 miles with the new Mopar PCV installed tomorrow. It would be grate if that fixes it. Ill update tomorrow with the results. Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove 102 miles today all highway at around 70 mph. I lost about 3/4 of a Qt . not even close to being fixed. I pulled all the plugs (new). the appeared normal maybe a little carbon build (rich). retested the compression while hot all were between 150 and 160 except for #8 was at 135 it was at 149 warm yesterday.

While driving it today i was careful not to rev it over 2500 so I could check the plenum plate. removed TB and wrapped wire around a small cloth fed it into the intake front and back making sure it was on the pan, cloth came back clean.

It runs really well, I'd say it is the best running dodge I've ever owned. Its just this oil loss has me puzzled. no engine noise, no codes yet, I did hook up a scanner and it says that the evap and catilic are incomplete not yet cycled. I've driven this truck over 500 miles it should have cycled.

Is it possible that I have a bad cat and the PCM is running the truck that rich?

I purchased a leak down tester today. I think ill test the #8 cylinder while the truck is hot and also check the cat temps manually.

If I'm Missing something PLEASE let me know, I'm no mechanic but i play one when my trucks arent running right. lol

Thanks everyone your input is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I did the leak down test today. All was consistant @ 25-30% excluding #8 cylender was at 40%. Ran 50 lbs of air direct and it was coming out the tail pipe.

So correct me if i'm wrong that means that i have a exhaust valve problem on that cylinder.

But could this be the cause of the oil loss? Or should i still be looking at the valve seals being the problem with the oil loss.

FYI the leak detector i purchased from Harbor Freight is very inconsistent , would not recommend unless you have time to waist.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
forgot to add that there is raw oil coming from the tail pipe and the cat temps were at 370 into and 330 out at idle hot i thought that was very low temps.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't think that # 8 is the whole issue with oil consumption, that plug would be just nasty if it was. Are your sure the exhaust valve was fully closed when you did the test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the response burkdadhemi, Yea the cyl was tdc compression stroke, did you see the cat temps? The cat is definitely toast. Probably because all the oil going through it.

I don't fully understand how oil is delivered to lubricate the cylinders. Is it possiable that the cat is the problem?

Im completely lost cannot afford to throw parts at it. I don't want to replace the cat just to ruin it either.:sad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read typical oil delivery systems and that only leaves 2 options Plenum or valve seals or cracked head, with the cracked head being least likely.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I buy a set of vitron valve seals and replace the old ones, replace the plenum gasket. Both repairs don't coast much just some time spent doing them. I'd get the oil issue r solved before replacing the cat as it will get toasted if you don't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts