DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my 06 with 100k. I've now got 140k. When I purchased it, there were 2 batts with 1 disconnected. Thought this was odd, but I hooked it up and it didn't notice any issues. About 6 mo later I noticed the radio and clock "flickering" on and off while driving. A few weeks later it progressed to where the clock and radio would both be off after starting randomly. The only way to get them back on would be to turn off the ignition and restart the truck. They would come on about 50% of the time.

Shortly after this happened, one of my batts got weak and i'd have to jump the truck to start it. I replaced the batt and all the problems (radio, clock etc) went away. This made sense to me EXCEPT it happened again about 6 mo later. I have now replaced a batt 4 or so times, once every 4 to 6 months, and am just now experiencing the radio/clock issue again (5th time).

I hadn't previously thought about it long enough to see which of the 2 batts i'm replacing, though I'm fairly certain I've replaced the driver side batt 3 times and the passenger batt once. Luckily the warranty from NAPA has replaced them for free- but i'm tired of burning up batts. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have you tried to replace them both at the same time. My experience with dual battery set ups at work is when only one battery is replaced, the weaker battery drags down the new battery, and before long you have 2 bad batterys.

Another thought, is there might be a reason one of the battery was disconnected.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Usually 2 batteries are only used IF your running extra lights, snow plow, super sound system, etc

It almost sounds like who ever put the dual battery system in, did not wire it correctly, maybe forgot to install a proper battery Isolator

·
Registered
565 Posts
Usually 2 batteries are only used IF your running extra lights, snow plow, super sound system, etc

It almost sounds like who ever put the dual battery system in, did not wire it correctly, maybe forgot to install a proper battery Isolator
My first post was going to be just to unhook the 2nd battery as its usually not necassary, but I noticed near his info he has a CTD which would explain the need for the 2nd battery.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I think a trip to a real Auto Electric shop is in order, just to do a trouble shooting check up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts