DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone :wavey:,

In March I will be ordering a new tow rig; I'm pulling a 34' toy hauler, no more than 12k total weight. I had considered the Longhorn and King Ranch Ford first, then got my head out of the clouds. I may be looking at a 3500 dually ST 4x4 crew with only the snow plow prep pack; for the price difference I can actually do the upgrades I want; front and rear bumpers, 19.5's, deletes, full system, seat heat with leather upgrade, free spin hub conversion kit, etc.

I have some questions.

- The Ram website lists max towing capacity at about 13 with the 3:73 gears. Considering how off a lot of the info is on the Ramtrucks website, how much would be a more realistic number?
- I plan on running the synthetic gear oil and upgrading the clutch. Is there anything else that will make this trans last?
- If I do the fluid upgrades, once broken in, what might I expect for loaded/unloaded mileage?

I'm sure there will be many more questions, but this is all I can think of for now. I was hesitant about looking at this option, mainly due to bad reports from service departments in my area. However, after reading several forums, I feel this would be a great long term investment, especially considering Ram is the only kid on the block left using a stick.

Feedback and comments most welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd buy a ford if I was pulling that much weight, a 450 dually, as for mileage on a truck of this size, with a diesel, about 10mpg if your lucky, the mileage on diesel's suck now a days due to the EPA regulations and that stupid charcoal filter they all have on them, good luck,

·
Registered
726 Posts
Agreed, you will get 10 mpg. The last dually I owned, I got the same mileage empty, going downhill with the wind at my back as I did when I was pulling a 30' camper loaded....10mpg.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, everyone :wavey:,

In March I will be ordering a new tow rig; I'm pulling a 34' toy hauler, no more than 12k total weight. I had considered the Longhorn and King Ranch Ford first, then got my head out of the clouds. I may be looking at a 3500 dually ST 4x4 crew with only the snow plow prep pack; for the price difference I can actually do the upgrades I want; front and rear bumpers, 19.5's, deletes, full system, seat heat with leather upgrade, free spin hub conversion kit, etc.

I have some questions.

- The Ram website lists max towing capacity at about 13 with the 3:73 gears. Considering how off a lot of the info is on the Ramtrucks website, how much would be a more realistic number?
- I plan on running the synthetic gear oil and upgrading the clutch. Is there anything else that will make this trans last?
- If I do the fluid upgrades, once broken in, what might I expect for loaded/unloaded mileage?

I'm sure there will be many more questions, but this is all I can think of for now. I was hesitant about looking at this option, mainly due to bad reports from service departments in my area. However, after reading several forums, I feel this would be a great long term investment, especially considering Ram is the only kid on the block left using a stick.

Feedback and comments most welcome. Thanks.
You need to ask these questions on the diesel forum,of people who are actually using these trucks. I believe the HD ram with 800 ftlbs torque are rated 22,500 lbs towing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 99 F-450, 4.88s, 6 speed manual, 19.5" wheels. I regularly towed upwards of 18k all over the east coast. The issue wasn't the weight it was the gearing. I would be at 3000 RPM at 70MPH which translated to 7MPG. The wife would drive while I slept and she would only go 60MPH with that 50' step deck behind it and she would get 11MPG.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the 07 6.7 with G56 and 373's deleted and programmed with a dual disk Valair ceramic clutch. Unloaded flat ground from Gulfport, MS to San Antonio, Texas on I10 at 70MPH with cruise set I got 19.6 (hand calculated). With my little 7X10 enclosed trailer with only my Harley in it I got 13.5 (hand calculated). I never could run that truck long without something breaking on it. The stock clutch was extremely weak and needed replacement as soon as I programmed it. The air conditioner was crap and I constantly had to change compressors and fan clutches and the front end had to be totally rebuilt twice as the truck would go into death wobble (if you don't know what that is go to youtube and put it in the search). Go to ***************** and ask the guys that own these trucks but, beware!! Everyone gets 22 mpg on that site. My truck was more problems than it was worth and I traded for a 1500 Laramie. Please do yourself a favor and go to the different Diesel Sites. They will help you there but a lot of guys lie about their trucks. Nobody wants to admit to a 50k mistake. It took me years to admit to mine. Last time I checked there wasn't a lot of aftermarket programmer wise for the 2012's. Believe me, they need a programmer and to be deleted otherwise you will get 10 mpg. If I was going to buy another diesel it would be a 5.9 Dodge or 7.3 Ford or an 04-07 Chevy. The new ones suck unless you have a lot of cash to spend (which I did and never recuperated). If I could go back I never would have bought a 6.7 Dodge. Before someone says the 07 was bad because it was the first model is only right till 2009. The 07 was the one all the testing was done on for programmers and everything else that came out for it, and still does for that truck first. No, the 07 is very sought after now since programmers (Smarty, XRT, Edge and the others totally understand it unlike the newer ones). Oh, and EFI live is out for the older 6.7's as well. Good luck and remember: EVERY DIESEL IS DIFFERENT and GETS DIFFERENT MILEAGE.

·
Registered
15,703 Posts
i had the 3500 with the nv 5600, went over 100000 miles with the stock clutch. wear out the stock clutch before you upgrade. i will tell you backing up a trailer with the manual is a pia. wished for the auto everytime. pulled an 8 horse trailer every weekend. fuel milage does suck now a days but cummins is still the way to go. i would look at the duramax over the ford, but the allison is not all it is cracked up to be.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
The new 2012 Dodge diesels may have the UREA tank, just like the other diesel manufacturers,
but a Note that i saw read...Ram HD trucks continue to be the only heavy-duty pickups to meet EPA emissions regulations without the need for Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

Ram HD also has a Max Tow package option for the Ram 3500 with a 22,750-lb. maximum trailer weight and up to class-leading 30,000 lb. Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

The integrated trailer brake control is an Option on the ST

more info
http://www.autospectator.com/cars/m...500-heavy-duty-review-pictures-features-specs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tow Capacity

If you select the HO you wont have any problems. As noted the G56 when backing is a little fast and may cause you to ride the clutch a bit. As how much you can tow with the truck you need to look at the charts at the dealership. My four wheel drive Regular cab dually with 4.10 has 30k GCWR. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been towing a 28' bumper pull Toy Hauler weighing around 12K loaded with no issues for years behind my 03 3500 SRW on 35s. CTD, Auto trans, Edge EZ, 102K miles.

As far as a Spin Free for a 2012, it's not offered yet. Dodge redesigned the front end in '09...no one offers a kit yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts