DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I want to buy a cabin cruiser like the bayliner 2855 (2000 plus year) online says it has a weight of 6400 lbs. but I am new to towing and don’t want to buy too much boat for my truck. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 bighorn with tow package rear wheel drive anti slip 3.21 8 speed hp70 transmission tow rating of 8070 see pic for my set up. So how much boat can I buy to safely tow around town in Tennessee where there is terrain, hills and stuff not off road just normal road up and down type.( Also if you know of a good cabin cruiser boat I am open to suggestions) Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Be careful about the boat weights posted on-line. Those are usually dry weights (tanks empty and no gear). With a cabin cruiser, you will probably have a freshwater tank along with a large fuel tank. You could easily add another 1,000 lbs with the tanks full and gear stored on the boat.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
This^^
You'll need to combine the dry weight with the total liquid load (fuel tank(s), water tank, sewage if applicable) and all the gear/equipment that will normally be carried aboard. 28' cruiser is pushing it for a half ton, even one as capable. If it was a sport boat that'd be different, but this thing has some height to go with it's girth. I looked up a 2004 just for fun. 100gal fuel tank x 6 lbs/gal = 600lbs right off the bat. 30gal water tank x 8lbs/gal = 240lbs. 20gal holding tank; effluent is generally listed at 9 lbs/gal to cover all bases with fluid and solids. So 20gal x 9 lbs/gal = 180lbs. that gives you half a ton (1020lbs) in just full liquid load. Going with your 6400lb dry weight (the one I looked up was at 6510lbs) that puts us at 7420lbs. With your 8070lb tow capacity that leaves you with 650lbs to use until you're at max.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
This ^^ and worse yet, you haven't included the trailer weight yet which will be most likely in excess of 1000 lb. IF you go aluminum, add several hundred more if steel.

That being said, you say towing around town. If only a few miles you can probably get away with it, will need to run high end gear lube in the rear differential and change it every few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts