DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 1500 4.7L quad cab without a the tow package. Ive done a little bit a research and want to make sure i have everything right before making my purchase. Ill be towing a dolly or trailer along with my race car about 4 hours away from my place. The car weighs about 3000lbs or less and ill be renting a trailer or dolly from uhaul.

Now uhaul said they would be able to take care of everything with ordering the parts and accessories along with install. Class III hitch, ball mount, wiring harness, prodigy p2 brake controller.

Am I missing anything? Is there better products out there than i listed?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don't need the brake controller if you will be utilizing a u-haul trailer. Unless u-haul has revamped their trailers nationwide in the past 6 months, they all have a hydraulic surge actuator for the full car haulers; dollys have no brakes. This means that no extra electronic controllers are needed. If you have your own trailer with electric brakes, then by all means; get the brake controller.

Essentially, you just need the frame mount Class III hitch, wiring harness and ball mount. Be sure to utilize the 2" balls for the u-haul trailers as they are made for 1-7/8 & 2 with extra slop on the 1-7/8.

HTH

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tcroc,

You are welcome, hope it helps you out in the long run.

Kong,

No, not all trucks come with a receiver hitch or even a bumper capable of towing anymore. It is cheaper to produce a truck without those features, so it is an add-on for the end user; especially with 1/2 ton trucks. Apparently, there are too many city folk getting trucks for looks than for use.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not mentioned here but if you do a lot of connecting to the trailer alone, get yourself a rear view camera. Best invention since sliced bread for those of us that tow often and have to hook-up alone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It just seamed odd. The last time I was at a dealer was in 07 looking at new ones, and every one on the lot had them already installed. I just assumed they all came that way.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Just my opinion
Buy a class 4 hitch receiver
get the brake controller

i always go a bit higher than what is required & i never have to wonder if it is enough

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my opinion
Buy a class 4 hitch receiver
get the brake controller

i always go a bit higher than what is required & i never have to wonder if it is enough
I thought about a class 4 hitch but i didn't see the option at uhaul. I did notice you can change the max towing weight. I guess I can purchase the hitch elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I thought about a class 4 hitch but i didn't see the option at uhaul. I did notice you can change the max towing weight. I guess I can purchase the hitch elsewhere.
I'm not sure I would go to Uhaul for my receiver, the ball and mount, maybe and maybe even the wiring harness but not the receiver (esp. if it's not a Class IV). Go get the MOPAR receiver and have it installed by your dealer (I think it requires the bed to be lifted off temporarily now). You'll be happy you did in the long run.

Ditto on the back-up camera as well. If I did more towing/hooking up by myself, I'd have one in a instant! They are only $319 in parts + install if you already have a touch screen radio and that is about 1/2 the cost of a new bumper if you hit the tongue hooking up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure I would go to Uhaul for my receiver, the ball and mount, maybe and maybe even the wiring harness but not the receiver (esp. if it's not a Class IV). Go get the MOPAR receiver and have it installed by your dealer (I think it requires the bed to be lifted off temporarily now). You'll be happy you did in the long run.

Ditto on the back-up camera as well. If I did more towing/hooking up by myself, I'd have one in a instant! They are only $319 in parts + install if you already have a touch screen radio and that is about 1/2 the cost of a new bumper if you hit the tongue hooking up!
Ill definitely give the dealership a call about that. I actually do have a touch screen tv so ill look into back up camera as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to bump this topic for a update.

I bought a curt class IV hitch which was great. I installed it myself which was a lil frustrating but was done in a about a hour or so. I bought a 4 pin wiring harness from etrailer. Everything worked out great. I towed my car on a dolly for about 4 hours which only used about a half a tank of gas.

Now im looking into upgrading to a 7 pin wiring harness and a brake controller so i can use a actual trailor in the future. Thanks again for those who helped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts