DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for a bit better breathing on my 2012 with 5.7 Hemi MDS. There seem to be mixed feelings as to whether the 2012 5.7 with MDS breathes better with aftermarket CAI or whether the stock Airbox is more performance designed and only requires a better filter dropped in it.
I would appreciate any input from anyone having done either mod and the result of such. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with a drop in on mine. My truck is brand spankin new so I'll hold off before I start drilling on the airbox.
Ya mines an old 2012 clunker with 2700 miles on it...lol...I know what ya mean there.
I am pretty confident in my fabrication skills though if I decide to follow through with modifyin it. I may look at a CAI later on before I consider the airbox modification. I just put the drop in for now and I drove it this eve since my first post and I am pretty happy with it just the way it is.... for now.
Time will tell after my Mufflex 18 goes on, thats when the difference will be noticeable since I saved the stock filter for comparison. Of course I will post photos and video of whatever I do.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not really noticed any noticeable increase in power or anything but I do like the slight growl when you get into it on the Interstate on ramp. :) I made the switch becuase, truth be told, I prefer them to a stock paper blockage...oops I mean filter. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh ...point I forgot to mention, dont know about buying it online or at other retail stores, but Auto Zone does not list one for 2012 so I went with the same one for the 2011 and compared it to the stock one for safety sake....Perfect Match. FYI

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya mines an old 2012 clunker with 2700 miles on it...lol...I know what ya mean there.
I am pretty confident in my fabrication skills though if I decide to follow through with modifyin it. I may look at a CAI later on before I consider the airbox modification. I just put the drop in for now and I drove it this eve since my first post and I am pretty happy with it just the way it is.... for now.
Time will tell after my Mufflex 18 goes on, thats when the difference will be noticeable since I saved the stock filter for comparison. Of course I will post photos and video of whatever I do.
Yeah I ordered a Magnaflow 18 for mine also. It's supposed to be here sometime this week and hopefully I'll be able to get it installed this weekend. I couldn't justify the cost of the Mufflex setup when it'll only cost me $80 to get it installed at a muffler shop.

Look forward to seeing yours completed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts