DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked under the hood and if I didn't know better I'd say I have a cold air intake. Big filter, walled off from engine, etc. Looks like a CAI but I'm guessing it's not. So what makes a CAI different from what I'm looking at?

Is it the smooth intake tube? Why can't I just replace this one with a smooth tube? Is it more than that _ (pretty sure it is).

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
You, my friend, have the mopar cai, so you're set. CAI has become the generic term for any intake tube that has higher than stock flow numbers and a larger filter area, even though most of them don't pull cold air.

True CAIs will pull air from outside of the engine compartment, but most just seal off an area and pull from inside the engine bay from behind their 'heat-shield'. The smoothness of the intake tube will make a difference if you're pulling larger quantities of air and need to have a laminar flow into the intake manifold, and most 'CAIs' are smooth enough to not cause any issues.

If you want a truly "cold air" intake, then you'd have to look at a composite tube (prevents heat soak of metal tubes) that pulls air directly from outside the engine bay, and I only know of one manufacturer that eally pulls this off, but it's only for the LX vehicles, not the ram trucks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R U Kidding me? I have a CAI? I was considering the purchase of a Volant CAI - in part cause I like the looks of the enclosed filter box and the fact that it has a ram tube to truly draw cold air from down around the bumper --- but I'd feel kinda stupid buying a CAI to replace a CAI.... that would make no sense, right?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
R U Kidding me? I have a CAI? I was considering the purchase of a Volant CAI - in part cause I like the looks of the enclosed filter box and the fact that it has a ram tube to truly draw cold air from down around the bumper --- but I'd feel kinda stupid buying a CAI to replace a CAI.... that would make no sense, right?
IMHO the Volant is worth it for the PowerCore filter. I tried and tried to fit it into the stock air box and just couldn't do it so I bought the Volant. Better airflow, better filtration and a 100k mile warranty on the filter. Nice mean sound @ WOT too!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad someone does Ramathorne - I hate it - the black plastic ribbed tube is FUGLY if you ask me. I'm hoping I can swap it with a K&N tube or first choice - one of LGIs carbon fiber tubes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not seen one of the Mopar CAIs up close before and find it interesting how much farther up closer to the filter they place the Air sensor. The factory stock tube has that sensor a couple inches away from the throttle body.
OP, I think switching away from that CAI to another is splitting hairs at best, performance wise. jmho...
--Glenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The K&N in its entirety might be too long - I was thinking if I could get one I could cut it and use just enough where it would attach as my current one does to the silver metallic piece.

And Glenn B - I'm not doing this for performance, this is purely a 'looks' issue - I hate the look of that ribbed black tube - wanting to find a smooth replacement but hopefully not at the price of having to buy an entirely new CAI.

·
Registered
55 Posts
iirc AEM makes the Mopar CAI..... I wonder if AEM also markets a CAI for our trucks (not under the Mopar name) with a metal intake pipe going from the throttle body to the air box?
If not it might be tough to find a pipe that would fit that exactly as it seems all CAIs are a bit different in their designs. You could always have something custom made, but that might be pricey...... but it would be exactly how you want it to look also.
--Glenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good idea and I checked AEM but no luck - it's this or nothing. I've contacted a builder about possibly doing a custom carbon fiber tube - waiting for a reply and (gulp) possible cost estimate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My truck came with the same thing when I bought it. :smileup:
Question unlike oiled air filters this is dry. When it's dirty you just buy a new one right. Never had a non oiled CAI. Could I use a K&N filter instead of this Mopar element?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think on the dry elements there is a specific way to wash it and clean them, then they can just be used again until dirty. Similar to the oiled gauze type filters they can be used over and over again.
If you decided to im sure you could replace your existing non-oiled filter with an oiled variant, but i doubt there would be any filtering performance difference either way.
I believe i read that OEMs generally like the non-oiled filters a bit better as there is less chance of them fouling sensors such as MAFs if the filter is accidentally over-oiled when being cleaned. Cleaning and re-oiling the gauze filters is a bit more difficult to get correct then just washing and drying the dry element filters.
--Glenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I read in the manual where the filter is washable when dirty. Curious Almond... I've posted in another thread "Hood rub" how my CAI tube has rubbed and damaged the hood liner in my '11. Was at dealer today and they've ordered a new liner but say the problem is same on another truck they checked on their lot. - as you can tell from my thread here I'm looking for a replacement 'smooth' tube and now, the Dealer is contact Chrysler engineering to find options. It appears the fitment of the two parts together simply will not allow them to coexist without damage. Has this happened on your truck??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts