DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

Trying to figure out what I want to do with my air intake. I'm waiting for the spare throttle body to come in the mail so I can cutter wings off and smooth it out, but I'm debating between a CAI system and just going "old school" and throwing on a nice round open air filter. What I would love to have are some pro's and con's for each to help guide my way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brutus, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was hoping that there would have been more people chiming in. Does anyone have any experience with this "mod"?

·
Registered
239 Posts
i have an open element w/ extreme lid on one Dak R/T and a K&N CAI on the other.

i'd say the tube is good for all around performance (street, strip, daily driver).
open element is just as good for the same purpose, but a better choice for the strip, especially if you can divert air into it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Brutus, A open air round filter will open up the engine compartment more giving acess to motor. Both will flow just as good. With the open air one thing to consider make sure the rubber strip at the back of the hood is intacked water (rain, washing) can drip there and it is right on the filter, dont want that getting in the motor. Also you do any off road? consider that water, mud has an easier access to intake. Cai is better for off road. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've had a highly modded FIPK and now an open 14x3 with a Spectre element.

You definetly want to make sure the hood to cowl seal is glued on tight!

My butt dyno can't tell the difference, and the ease of mantenance is a big plus!
You can buy pre filters for a 14x3 (dirt track cars use 'em) for mudding.
If you're submerging the truck, the factory system is about the best next to a snorkle

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have used both in the past. The absolute best in my opinion is made by Ram Air Systems in Canada. Their website is www.ramairbox.com. You will want the 110 degree x 3" dual ram air kit . It's a tight fit, but works incredibly well. I noticed approximately 0.3 reduction in my 1/4 mile times and better gas mileage. You want a system that draws cool air in for best performance.

I like the old school open element filters for looks, but not performance. It's all what you are looking for really.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive got a open element filter on my 96 dodge ram and it sounds like a pissed off snake hissing every time a press the gas, ive had no issues with mine. ppl wonder what youve got under your hood hissing at red lights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like my open air...the cost is what convinced me:....$14. for the housing & about $27.00 for the filter!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts