DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nope. It sucks in warm engine air. If it is a metal pipe then heat soak makes the air even hotter. I personally built my own. Kinda. I took my old 3" ghl cai that was on my Vw Gti and cut it to fit. It's plastic so there's no heat soak, and I was able to modify the stock air box to house my k&n cone filter. The filter is sheltered from engine heat and gets cool air from the stock inlet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks thats kinda what i thought also I tried to post a pic of the thing im gonna go back and read that howto again. its a grey plastic pipe with a couple of bends in it with a conical shaped filter at distal end comes with a section of blue tubing. my neighbor said he took it off his ram before he traded. he said I could have it but with no heat shield it dorsnt seem like an up grade over the stock air intake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depends on where it picks its air up from. If it picks it up from the engine bay, it is a short ram intake. If it picks it up from the fender well or grill, it is a cold air intake.

- Christopher

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
You need to look at the position of the intake filter. While dudeman is correct about the heat soak issue with metal tubes, the sucking in engine heated air is very minimal if you place the cai intake in a position forward of the engine, and to the side of the radiator. The only time you'd have issues with pulling in heated air is when you are stationary and idling. When driving, you won't have that problem as enough air is passed through the lower air dam and under the body of the truck to keep under hood temps down.

However, if you want true cold air, you need to pull directly from outside the engine bay itself, so a ram air hood or a super scoop would be needed to direct proper outside air into the engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, thin aluminum intakes don't really soak enough heat to affect temperatures. Like previously stated, you only suck in hot air at an idle, or low speed crawls. While you are moving, there is enough air coming into the bay that temps aren't raised.

- Christopher

·
Registered
295 Posts
i bought a 77 series k&n cold air intake system that has a chrome metal tube and i was always wondering if the metal tube would create a more higher temp than the plastic tube ? also if i took some insulated wrapping and wrapped the metal tube if that would help keep any temp increase down .

·
Registered
171 Posts
77 series

The metal retains more heat which equals less horse power. I have a 77 series and a 63 series, the 63 produces twice the horse power but also has the black tube. I would think any shielding on the metal tube would help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts