DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Calculating rake

11113 10
I am looking into leveling kits and I want to calculate the factory rake on my 1500 to try and estimate the true result I will get out of the kit. Can you offer any tips to get an accurate estimate/result. I am looking into pro comp spacers or possibly bilstein 5100.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Just measure from your fenders to the top of your tires. Subtract the front from the rear and you have your rake. Technically it is the measurement of your total travel. But that isn't practical. So, just do the fender to tire.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so then if I go with a 2" level kit is that a true 2" inch difference or is it somewhat varied? In turn do I adjust the rake measurement by that 2" amount? Just making sure so I can decide if I need a 2.5" instead. I appreciate your incite.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Each truck is a little different. The spacer is probably exactly 2 inches. That won't account for any settling or drop from your truck. Also, since the rear axle is the pivot point, the rear will also rise a touch though only as a fraction of the front. So, it will only ever be a calculation and you can't rally know until you install it and measure. If it bothers you then maybe you should just go with the 2.5. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Grubrunner

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern was just making sure the front doesn't end up slightly higher than the back. So I was thinking playing it safe with the 2". That should leave enough space for a 295/60/20 right? Maybe have to use a wheel spacer? Again I appreciate the input

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Ah. Width is the crux of the problem. A 2" lift will give you room for 35 high. A few guys on here have gotten away with 295's on stock wheels but not many. 285 is the widest most can go on width without rubbing. After that most need spacers. Most do not look well upon spacers. I have not used them so I cannot comment on them. Most on here recommend offset rims for wider wheels. Sorry but that is all I have on the subject.

Reactions: brandonjansen

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
OP, check out the guide to leveling & wheel and tire sizing linked in my signature below. It gives a detailed explanation on how to measure your stock rake and what size kit you will want for your truck along with tons of information on tire sizing for both stock wheels and aftermarket ones. It should answer everything you need to know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i went with a 2.5" leveling kit and i still sit higher in the rear. it is not noticeable to the eye when looking at it but with a measuring tape it will show the difference. i would not worry about being nose high with a 2.5" kit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'm considering going with the HBS 2" kit and running a 295/65 20 trail grappler. I've seen mixed reviews on whether or not that tire would have any rubbing issues on a stock 20 chrome clad. Anybody running those or run them in the past? Pictures are always helpful, especially when trying to convince the wife that I need to spend the money haha. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Each truck is a little different. The spacer is probably exactly 2 inches. That won't account for any settling or drop from your truck. Also, since the rear axle is the pivot point, the rear will also rise a touch though only as a fraction of the front. So, it will only ever be a calculation and you can't rally know until you install it and measure. If it bothers you then maybe you should just go with the 2.5. Hope this helps.
This here in bold is the key as many threads/posts here will attest to.

Well pointed out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.