1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't do it brother... Look a little rice to me.
Get some caliper paint follow directions and you be very happy with the results..
Did this on my car last year and with new open style rims I've got on order I'll be doing it on my truck as well.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way to paint them is to take them off though rite?so my truck would be out of comission for a few hours waiting for the paint to dry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah at least the day. With my car I was able to jack all four corners and dismantle brakes then clean. I used brush on kind not spray bomb only for the fact of not having to mask a lot of stuff off. Spray bomb should give you better coverage. To paint you will need to do several coats ( I ended up putting on 8 to 10 coats but i was able to just keep going around the car applying coats) took me the day and part of the next morning to put it all back together. Still worth it to me to do it myself. For my truck it will be a challenge to get the whole truck in the garage to do the same but if I have to I'll just do front then rear.
If you go this route PM me if you have any other questions.

Some have painted them on but I believe you get a more professional look if you take calipers off. More work but you get out of it what you put in!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info im thinkin i will take them off but im gonna wait a little for it to get warmer cause theres no way im fittin the whole truck in the garage ill let you know when the time comes if i have anymore questions and keep u updated

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Dont know i did both methods of cal paint wire brushed them and cleaned them used the spray it last like 3 weeks before it flaked then i removed everything (what a pita ) from the cal used the cal kit (brush on ) that last 6 months now thats flaking.

So ill be touching it up yet again so hope that helps

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just my opinion of course but I have painted my calipers before and currently have the MGP Caliper Covers on my R/T. Hands down the caliper covers look great. Paint will definitely make them look nice but the covers make them look awesome.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I picked up the MGP covers for mine a while ago. After I finally sorted out the minor fitment issues they've been great. Lasted through 2 winters, fit inside my 17" stock rims and make the caliper stand out against the summer 22s. I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to pull the calipers to paint them properly. Oh, and I installed them without removing the wheels, which is a bonus for some people.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dont know i did both methods of cal paint wire brushed them and cleaned them used the spray it last like 3 weeks before it flaked then i removed everything (what a pita ) from the cal used the cal kit (brush on ) that last 6 months now thats flaking.

So ill be touching it up yet again so hope that helps
Lots of brake cleaner and I used old school oil base paint not latex. Although my car is only sunny day car. I'm still going to give it a go on my DD.
Your truck looks great with the black wheels and red calipers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts