DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i changed my front brake pads because they were making noise.. they ended up only being 1/2 worn. Had them off and had already bought new ones so i replaced them anyway.. have been working fine for 2 weeks now.. and today it starts making a crazy loud screeching/rumbling when stopping.. so i take it all back apart and see the the metal ring around the face of the caliper piston has a piece of metal that has sheered of, and is sticking out between the piston and the pad.. so i gently remove the piece and lightly sand.. put it all back together and is working fine... but what the hell coulve caused that.??? and now i feel i should replace the calipers. Or at least the piston if i can get those alone.. .. any thoughts?? Why is there even a metal ring around the face of the piston??

·
Super Moderator
34,446 Posts
The brake piston is made of metal, did it chip off of that?

You greased the backs of the pads when you installed them right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Thats what is strange to me too.. it literally looks like there is a thin metal ring on the face of the piston.. and a small piece of that sheered off. Can this be part of the dust cover?? . and i can now see the plain metal piston behind it.. wish i thought to take a photo to explain it better.. i only greased the grooves where the clips go.. but i did not grease the back of the pads like where the pad touches the piston.. ive only ever greased the grooves when doing pads

·
Super Moderator
34,446 Posts
As long as the rubber boots around the pistons aren't torn they're probably OK. I grease the back of the pads because if the pads ever start to vibrate against the caliper pistons it can cause noise. The grease ensures that they'll just slide over each other if that happens.

Noisy brakes can be caused by all kinds of stuff, they don't necessarily mean the brakes are bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense.. and is a good idea.. i should buy a container of it.. cause the grease that comes with the pads barely is enough to do the grooves.. and yes.. you wouldve thought my front end was going to fall apart from the sound it was making.. the small piece of metal mustve been causing the pad to not press evenly and vibrate.. i just dont get why.. it has to be something i did changing the pads.. but then why the 2 weeks working fine.. and ive done pads plenty of times..i think its going to drive me nuts until i just replace them now

·
Super Moderator
34,446 Posts
Makes sense.. and is a good idea.. i should buy a container of it.. cause the grease that comes with the pads barely is enough to do the grooves.. and yes.. you wouldve thought my front end was going to fall apart from the sound it was making.. the small piece of metal mustve been causing the pad to not press evenly and vibrate.. i just dont get why.. it has to be something i did changing the pads.. but then why the 2 weeks working fine.. and ive done pads plenty of times..i think its going to drive me nuts until i just replace them now
Could be any number of reasons, could just be metal fatigue which wouldn't be your fault.

I got a jar of the Permatex ceramic brake grease. Plenty left over even after doing the grooves, slider pins, and backs of the pads on all 4 corners. Used maybe 25% of the jar or less

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i will definitly pick some up.. that is a good idea greasing everything like that, thanks for the advice. I guess ya never know.. but the truck is 3 years old with 36k on it.. and being that i just did its first brake job.. i cant see it being a coincidence that this happened.. but thanks for making me feel better!!! .. HAHA

·
Super Moderator
34,446 Posts
Dang, I got close to 74,000 miles out of my brakes and could have got more, but Im moving soon and don't want any issues with the trailer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that i think of it that way.. maybe there was an underlying problem.. because they were squealing like a freight train.. which is why i thought they needed to be changed in the first place. . but the pads were definitely only about half worn.. but since i already had the new pads. And calipers apart i figured might as well just change them out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts