DODGE RAM FORUM banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
And what I hate the most is I love my truck. I’ve made a lot of memories in that truck with my son camping and hiking and was hoping to one day pass it to him. It may be a 2012 but I’ve kept it maintained mechanically and it has no dents or scratches. Just pisses me off that we can’t do a single thing about it.
I agree! I’m furious too! My 2012 just turned 90k miles and it’s very good condition. All except for that junk 2012 5.7 hemi. This is my first and last Mopar!!! I’ll stick with Chevy or GMC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will do buddy. I appreciate the help.
No problem. Good luck! I called Chrysler Corporate office and asked surely I’m not the first one that’s called you about this exact issue! Her exact works “sitting here right this second....I don’t recall any others” LIES she wouldn’t have a hob at Chrysler had she told me the truth

·
Registered
23 Posts
No problem. Good luck! I called Chrysler Corporate office and asked surely I’m not the first one that’s called you about this exact issue! Her exact works “sitting here right this second....I don’t recall any others” LIES she wouldn’t have a hob at Chrysler had she told me the truth
Job*

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know of any companies that ave refurbished 5.7 engines and have fixed the cam/lifter problems? Or 6.4 L engines and is it possible to put a 6.4 L or newer 5.7 in my 2012 ram 1500

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know of any companies that ave refurbished 5.7 engines and have fixed the cam/lifter problems? Or 6.4 L engines and is it possible to put a 6.4 L or newer 5.7 in my 2012 ram 1500
I’ve been looking too and asked a company what they did different to prevent this from happening with they’re rebuilt engines. I couldn’t get a straight answer! So apparently nothing! Not sure they can do anything since the oil ports are too small and that’s why it’s happening! My mechanic said he’s been looking into it for me and found rebuilds for $2600 with 100,000 mile warranty. He’s been busy and forgot the name but will get back to me and I will update when I hear back from him

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been looking too and asked a company what they did different to prevent this from happening with they’re rebuilt engines. I couldn’t get a straight answer! So apparently nothing! Not sure they can do anything since the oil ports are too small and that’s why it’s happening! My mechanic said he’s been looking into it for me and found rebuilds for $2600 with 100,000 mile warranty. He’s been busy and forgot the name but will get back to me and I will update when I hear back from him
Please please let me know. I found a site called powertrainproducts.net claiming they have fixed the issue and they have 6.4L engines for $4000 with 3-4 year warranties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exactly as you say it,however here in Australia one engine rebuilder has alteady had late model Rams in with lifter problems.Remember that lifter /cam failures are nearly all mileage related so even a three year warranty means little if you not do many klms or miles.Hellcat lifters do not solve the problem ! On our 6.4 SRT /Trackhawk face book site owners have had failures in new crate engines,low klm Trackhawks ,in SRTs with full Jeep,dealer servicing ! As said before one hemi engine rebuilder here in Aust has rebuilt over 70 with cam / lifter problems in last 15 months.av cost $8000.00 ! FCA /Stellantis has known about this inherent hemi lifter problem for years .!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
They are garbage! Do not fix it it will only happen again new lifter and cam doesn’t fix the CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM! A guy on YouTube explains it very clearly. At idle speeds the oil doesn’t even touch the cam and lifters! The oil basically falls short and drops right to the pan!!! A brand new engine is the only fix and not a rebuilt engine of any of these years before 2016 according to my research I’m out 22,400 and more that’s just what’s remaining on my loan
Look at a cutaway, there is a passage coming right from the oil filter housing to the lifter galley. Lifters are getting the same oil pressure that the heads are, and it actually hits the lifters sooner.

Your youtube oracle is ill-informed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look at a cutaway, there is a passage coming right from the oil filter housing to the lifter galley. Lifters are getting the same oil pressure that the heads are, and it actually hits the lifters sooner.

Your youtube oracle is ill-informed.
So the problem can be fixed? Are there any aftermarket performance parts that will fix this? I’m completely clueless and I’ve hit dead ends everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So the problem can be fixed? Are there any aftermarket performance parts that will fix this? I’m completely clueless and I’ve hit dead ends everywhere.
From everything I've seen I don't think it has anything to do with MDS, I don't think it is inevitable because it doesn't happen to everyone even at 400,000+ miles, I don't think it is a bad oil system design; I am convinced it is a QC issue with either the lifters or the camshaft hardening.

I know the Eagle Hemi was originally supposed to have a billet cam, but the production engines have SADI (Selectively Austempered Ductile Iron) cams. Not sure if that would prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI!

I figured I would post here as everyone is probably worn out by the 71 pages of the sticky thread on this topic.

I've started a class action suit for this issue. I need 5 individuals with this problem to be initially named to file the suit.

From attorney " I need any pamphlets, user manuals or other paperwork from when the car was purchased. Ideally there be a separate document spelling out the warranty terms. Also a repair bill or something stating the exact issue."

Bonus is you are from South Carolina ! would make the suit much easier to file. Feel free to DM me if interested.
Can I get more info on the Class action lawsuit? I’m from New Mexico

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, my 2018 only has 11k miles. When it gets to about 45k I think I will trade it for a Toyota or a Ford. At the rate I am going that will take 3 or 4 years.
@shooter7272, from what I’ve been told by guys who have been selling cars/trucks for 30+ years, it doesn’t matter what model it is, they all have something that the manufacturer is aware of but will not fix. Ram hemi has the cam and lifter, Chevy has the high oil consumption rate because of the AFM and it causes
Can I get more info on the Class action lawsuit? I’m from New Mexico
@Mark G , the class action will never happen because out of the millions of hemi
Wow, my 2018 only has 11k miles. When it gets to about 45k I think I will trade it for a Toyota or a Ford. At the rate I am going that will take 3 or 4 years.
@shooter7272 , every truck has their “flaw” that the manufacturer will not admit exists. Toyota has the crankshaft/transmission issues, Chevy has the AMF which caused excess oil consumption
shooter7272 , every truck has their “flaw” that the manufacturer will not admit exists. Toyota has the crankshaft/transmission issues, Chevy has the AFM which caused excess oil consumption and also allowed oil to get past the pistons and into the combustion chamber. Both hemi and gm screwed the pooch when they decided to allow their big V8 to play 4 cyl but they never will admit it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, THAT was a disturbing video! It had always seemed like a design flaw to me. I didn't know the valve train didn't have oil feed to the pushrod & lifter assembly. Is it any wonder that hit & miss rpm splash lubrication is producing these periodic "lack of lubrication" cam wipeouts? I mean, wtaf? This was to be my final truck, in retirement. Now what do we do? This is even worse than GM's 5.3L ring-sticking oil-pumper engine that I owned before.

And it has nothing to do with the "MDS" system at all, as some were posting was the cause.
Not.
Happy.
That's not true; Ram Hemi hydraulic lifter failure...oil related?

·
Registered
62 Posts
MDS (when the sensors start failing) MDS can cause the issue...

MDS is a ballet and imagine something failing during that ballet... it can cause it but its rare.

·
Registered
2014 ram outdoorsman
3 Posts
Update on my 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7.My mechanic just got the top part of my motor apart bad Cam and Lifters on number 5 Cylinder. I ordered a new Cam and a set of lifters and rings The lifters have made in China stamped on them.I think we found the problem. My mechanic had another hemi 5.7 came out of another 2014 ram same problem On number 5 cylinder .Sad Ram needs to fix this problem . I will definitely tell everyone not to buy a ram. I'm going to trade this one in and get me a nother GMC My Sierra has 300000 miles and still going.
My '14 is in the same boat, and I will be doing exactly the same. Fuck dodge

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI!

I figured I would post here as everyone is probably worn out by the 71 pages of the sticky thread on this topic.

I've started a class action suit for this issue. I need 5 individuals with this problem to be initially named to file the suit.

From attorney " I need any pamphlets, user manuals or other paperwork from when the car was purchased. Ideally there be a separate document spelling out the warranty terms. Also a repair bill or something stating the exact issue."

Bonus is you are from South Carolina ! would make the suit much easier to file. Feel free to DM me if interested.
Hello, is there any updated information on the status of the Class Action suit?

I have 2009 1500 with the same failed "Hemi Cam/Lifter" issue noted by many on the forum. Interested in joining the class action. Please advise of the details, [email protected]

thanks-Fritz

241 - 260 of 293 Posts