DODGE RAM FORUM banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
So you came up with between 0.18-0.8% (y)

Like I said years ago earlier, this has less than 1% failure rate for a non-safety related component and will certainly not get any attention outside of warranty.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The average cost for a Dodge Ram 1500 camshaft replacement is between $1,348 and $1,608. Labor costs are estimated between $994 and $1,254 while parts are priced at $354.
There is that. I don't get, when people claiming they paid $5-6000 and more for the repair. Except there is something else.
My wife had the issue on her Charger, 3 months ago - Pentastar V6- and it was a $1300 repair- and $100 copay plus oil and filter $50.00.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,227 Posts
The average cost for a Dodge Ram 1500 camshaft replacement is between $1,348 and $1,608. Labor costs are estimated between $994 and $1,254 while parts are priced at $354.
A quick look on a Mopar parts site shows a camshaft at $270 and lifters running at $50 each (twice that for deactivating ones). Then gaskets and other stuff, all for $350 plus change?
I'm not seeing how that's possible.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
A quick look on a Mopar parts site shows a camshaft at $270 and lifters running at $50 each (twice that for deactivating ones). Then gaskets and other stuff, all for $350 plus change?
I'm not seeing how that's possible.
What am I missing?
I got that from google- how much it cost on a hemi- and as I said- we just had the repair on the charger- of course one side not both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anything ever happen with a class action suit? Just need to know because I'm having the same issues with my truck

HI!

I figured I would post here as everyone is probably worn out by the 71 pages of the sticky thread on this topic.

I've started a class action suit for this issue. I need 5 individuals with this problem to be initially named to file the suit.

From attorney " I need any pamphlets, user manuals or other paperwork from when the car was purchased. Ideally there be a separate document spelling out the warranty terms. Also a repair bill or something stating the exact issue."

Bonus is you are from South Carolina ! would make the suit much easier to file. Feel free to DM me if interested.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Did anything ever happen with a class action suit? Just need to know because I'm having the same issues with my truck
No. And there won't be. Trust me in that. It's called reality.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not that I've heard, no.
The original post is two and a half years old now and so far as I know the needle hasn't moved at all.
There have been other posts over the years, here and on other forums, by people promising class action suits, but I'm not aware of any that progressed beyond the "I've started a lawsuit" stage.

I doubt there will be a serious lawsuit personally, simply because it's really always the law firms that make the big bucks with class actions, not the individual consumers, and there's plenty of big go-for-the-jugular law firms in the US who are always cruising like sharks looking for a feeding frenzy opportunity.

I think we can bet that more than one of these law firms has taken a look at this issue, and the fact that it hasn't happened tells me they've concluded there's just not enough evidence to make the game worth the candle.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
OK, so that's a lawfirm trawling for people to sign up for a potential lawsuit.
We'll see what happens, but it's an oddball list of models and model years that they purport to be "investigating".
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Challenger
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Charger
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Durango
• 2016 - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
• 2016 - 2021 Chrysler 300
• 2016 - 2018 Ram 2500
• 2018 - Present Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup

The majority of reports of lifter failure here on this site, and on other sites I've looked at, predate the 2016 model year for sure, and many 2018 models are likely still under 60K miles and so are still under OEM powertrain warranty anyway.
Also, most of the failures seem to be above 80K miles and many of them considerably above 100k miles, so limiting the "investigation" to post 2016 model years doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If I had to guess, that law firm's "investigation" will end up going nowhere, if only because the majority of the lifter failures fall outside of the vehicle list they're supposedly looking at.
Pretty sure I read where they re-tooled the lifters prior to 2016 anyway. 2013 was it? I don't recall. It's not clear that the new lifters resolved the issue, but I have read that it's reduced the failure rate, or at least the failure rate in the lower mileage ranges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, where are you at in your class action? We are going to start one in Canada over the same issue but are adding Dodge dealerships as a plaintiff. Dealerships here are attempting to turn the Hemi a Tick into a new revenue stream, denying valid warranty repair claims. Please share any information you have that could assist us, it would be much appreciated.

Hi there, what do you mean by extended oil change intervals? Do you mean the intervals between oil changes should be more than 16,000km? We always used top quality synthetic oil but the dealership is now claiming our lube shop used the wrong oil filters and a “dirty recycled synthetic mix” which is not true. They claim to have provided pictures and a full report to FCA but they refuse to show them to us and FCA won’t show them to us. The Dodge dealership in Olds refuses to give us our own service records. When we asked a Chrysler dealership in Grande Prairie they said yeah no problem, they’d email our service records right away, then emailed my husband back and said sorry, we can’t send your records after all, they’re confidential. Does that make sense to anyone?

Mountain View Dodge in Olds, Alberta claims the constant ticking (that we first reported to them at ~50,000km it’s now at 133,000km) is due to a seized wrist pin and tore apart the engine before checking for knock codes, doing cylinder compression tests or following ShopKey diagnostic guidelines. Can a truck go for 83,000km with a seized wrist pin? Even though they’ve torn our engine apart, is there still a way to check the cam and lifters? If there is, what do I specifically say to the service department to demand they check them? Because my husband told them when he took it in that he thought it was the lifters. They claim it‘s a seized wrist pin. How do I demand they prove it wasn’t the lifters? Please advise.

H

Hi there, we want to start a class action suit in a Canada.

Our 2013 Ram 1500 Sport is still covered by our $7,400 extended warranty - but Mountain View Dodge in Olds and FCA are refusing to warranty our repair - first claiming improper maintenance, then their service manager claimed our lube shop used the wrong oil filters and a “dirty recycled synthetic mix” despite our having paid for top quality synthetic oil and the correct filters are clearly listed on our service invoices.

Mountain View Dodge claims they sent a full report with photos to FCA but refuse to show it to us. They also refuse to give us a copy of our service records, and when my husband contacted a dealership in GP by phone they first said of course we could have a copy of our records, then refused via email claiming they're confidential. Huh??

So now our engine is torn apart and they never did a single Industry standard diagnostic to check if it was indeed bad lifters. No compression test, there were no knock codes, and the ShopKey diagnostic would never have recommended a full engine tear down.

My husband brought it in advising them he thought it was lifters but they claim it’s a seized wrist pin and claim it‘s our fault. Could a truck with a seized wrist pin run with no performance issues for 83,000km? Every credible mechanic I’ve talked to says NO WAY. Because we first brought it in about the tick at ~50,000km and Mountain View Dodge claimed they couldn’t hear a tick but said they’d check it out. Second service visit for the tick same thing...we can’t hear anything but we’ll check it out. Do you think they're withholding our service records because they didn’t complete any diagnostics on the tick and the likely culprit ShopKey would have diagnosed...bad lifters?

When I talked to an AMVIC rep about this lunacy, she said they’re overloaded with complaints, currently a three month backlog because with the economy being so bad, businesses they work with (dealerships, repair shops and used car lots) are “doing almost anything to keep the doors open” - that‘s good to know!

We’re hoping we can collect enough factual accounts and raise enough funds for a retainer to hire a class action lawyer to look into this.

Hi there, check out our story and message us with your details. We have a 2013 Sport still under warranty but Mountain View Dodge in Olds and FCA are refusing the repair. Their mandate appears to be keep lifter repairs off the books no matter what it takes. Let’s do something about this so they’re either forced to issue a recall or stop betraying loyal customers.

Where are you at with your class action? i have a 2016 with 140k km that has a lifter failure. I cannot afford to repair it. lost my job thru covid and it's so costly. I have also changed the oil more regularly than required and use full synthetic. Dont abuse my truck whatsoever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so that's a lawfirm trawling for people to sign up for a potential lawsuit.
We'll see what happens, but it's an oddball list of models and model years that they purport to be "investigating".
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Challenger
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Charger
• 2016 - 2021 Dodge Durango
• 2016 - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
• 2016 - 2021 Chrysler 300
• 2016 - 2018 Ram 2500
• 2018 - Present Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup

The majority of reports of lifter failure here on this site, and on other sites I've looked at, predate the 2016 model year for sure, and many 2018 models are likely still under 60K miles and so are still under OEM powertrain warranty anyway.
Also, most of the failures seem to be above 80K miles and many of them considerably above 100k miles, so limiting the "investigation" to post 2016 model years doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If I had to guess, that law firm's "investigation" will end up going nowhere, if only because the majority of the lifter failures fall outside of the vehicle list they're supposedly looking at.
Pretty sure I read where they re-tooled the lifters prior to 2016 anyway. 2013 was it? I don't recall. It's not clear that the new lifters resolved the issue, but I have read that it's reduced the failure rate, or at least the failure rate in the lower mileage ranges.
i have a 2016 with 147k km on it that is suffering from lifter failure. I am the poster child for preventive maintenance, I am so upset right now.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts