DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
All manufacturers of vehicles have problems, significant ones at that Ms. Doodle. You are unfortunately just a part of an extremely low percentage of failures, there have been a million+ of Hemi 5.7s sold since 2009. If there are a few hundred camshafts repaired due to roller needle-bearing seizures, that's still well under 1 percent failure rate.
I'm kinda with you Garc. The cam/lifter issue has been perking along for some time now and it is frustrating that a definitive cause for the problem hasn't been identified or even suggested. But I'm with you, a million+ hemi's out there and they're not all plagued with this issue. There has to be a reason for this and I'll bet it's a simple one ie extended oil change intervals? synthetic oil? oil brand?......and I don't think it's because of long idle times....I mean how much oil does a needle bearing need to be lubricated? I also think Ram knows what is happening but doesn't dare reveal it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All manufacturers of vehicles have problems, significant ones at that Ms. Doodle. You are unfortunately just a part of an extremely low percentage of failures, there have been a million+ of Hemi 5.7s sold since 2009. If there are a few hundred camshafts repaired due to roller needle-bearing seizures, that's still well under 1 percent failure rate.
That’s a bunch of crap! A few hundred? Are you kidding me. Every mechanic that’s looked at my truck have fixed these consistently. Your info is bogus

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s a bunch of crap! A few hundred? Are you kidding me. Every mechanic that’s looked at my truck have fixed these consistently. Your info is bogus
That's right Abby, it definitely isn't a low percentage of failures. Its huge and has become such a problem that acquiring parts is difficult as they are all on backorder. Everyone that knows someone with a hemi seems to know someone that has had to do this.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It isn't a few hundred but it is a lower percentage than you think.
Usually parts being scarce isn't always from demand but rather they are stuck in an engineering phase usually trying to change something for better durability.

I don't know anyone personally that has had a cam failure.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
You are just talking out your ass and and Dodge mechanic will tell you this is in fact a problem. The parts are stuck int the engineering phase? Give me a break - these parts and engines have been around for a decade now and aren't stuck in the engineering phase. They are scarce because many many people are having this issue.
OK smartypants, if you just going to show up and tell folks they're "talking out your ass", that's fine by me, but you then obligate yourself to present empirically verifiable evidence to support every assertion you make from here on out.
How, precisely, do you know that nothing is in engineering development?
How, precisely, do you know they are scarce by reason of product demand?
What it the hell does "many many people" even mean?
These needle bearings are blowing up after only 50000 kms im ome cases.
This is observably true, no question.
Its an obvious engineering defect.
What exactly does that mean?
Trying to sound knowledgeable by throwing an umbrella term like "engineering defect" is not a good look.
Do you mean it's a parts design defect?
A materials defect?
A lubrication problem?
One single cause or multiple causes?
I don't know, and neither do you.
[/QUOTE]
...and you have no idea about the percentage as that info isn't readily available.
Correct, and you have no idea either. @pacofortacos was simply stating what he personally has observed, which is damn near all any of us can do.
Even FCA doesn't know exactly how many of these failures there have been. While they likely know how many have been fixed under warranty, and how many others have been fixed at dealerships at the owner's expense, they can't possibly know how many have been dealt with at independent shops.

,,,but even if its only 1 in 1000, that's way way to high.
I agree completely, that would be way too high, but we don't know if it's that high or not, a reality that you actually acknowledge yourself.
So since you don't know, and know that you don't know, it's hard to see how you manage to think yourself qualified to tell anyone they're talking out their ass, but you seem to have managed it anyway.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It’s 2020, the first thing any consumer is going to do after handing over $3-8k for a cam replacement or engine swap is complain on YouTube/forums/etc... look at the difference amazon has made for marketing.

FCA is fully aware of the overall number, which in the MILLIONS of 5.7s sold between several different vehicle models is minute. 1% is in the tens of thousands and a complete overestimate, 99.7% is 3 sigma which used to be a quality standard goal. They made a lifter supplier change in 2016 and haven’t looked back since.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
FCA is fully aware of the overall number, which in the MILLIONS of 5.7s sold between several different vehicle models is minute. 1% is in the 1X,000s and completely overestimated
How is FCA fully aware of the overall number?
To have an accurate count they would need to know how many engines have been dealt with in independent shops as well as those fixed at dealerships. How could they count those?
How do you know the number is "minute"?
How do you know a 1% number is completely overestimated? (as it happens I also think 1% is an overestimate, but it's a guess, I don't really have any data to support it.)

I get that trying to make estimates based on internet postings is futile, people always complain more readily than they praise especially when they just took a hit in the wallet.
Please understand, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, you may be exactly right and the number of failures is indeed considerably less than that benchmark you mention. I'm just asking how you could possibly know that.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The manufacturing of Gen3 Hemi lifters over vehicles sold would be their most accurate data point. Nobody(In their right mind) should replace one or only the failed lifters with a new camshaft, going to be a set of 16 per case.

Cam production has too many hands in the cookie jar to be reliable. 6.2 Hellcats and 6.4 Hemis also suffer this same failure, just at a much lower awareness level due to production quantities in comparison.

These are just opinions from close observation. My proactive approach is never letting the vehicle idle for long periods especially with higher mileage oil as well as a custom tune to bump idle oil pressure and RPM.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
chokdii obviously knows where and by whom the lifters are manufactured by.
How else would he know that in fact there are not any available due to them all being used? vs. some other reason.

And I mean how dare a part fail after 198,000 km. What shoddy engineering! I expect a minimum of 500,000 km out of anything auto related I buy - and that includes tires dammit!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, on a three day motorcycle ride to Arkansas from Texas with my mechanic 5 years ago and he warned me about my 2012 5.7 Hemi and the lifter/cam failures. He was having to replace with new engines for his customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 hurst hauler #002
im very interested in this issue
Ive owned it since 46k, i use penzoill 20w platnium.with a k&n filter.I also use duralube.But maybe ill try archoil or petron plus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Chrysler 300 C Hemi....131,000 miles...Maintainenced routinely at dealer...Developed miss, then engine light dropped off for diagnostic (expected plugs/coil or injector)...Wasnt any of them, they pulled the covers and looked inside and the lifter was sideways...Dealer saying wouldn't warranty lifter/cam repairs $4800...and tech says needs new motor...I'm interested in joining the class action...How do I participate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI!

I figured I would post here as everyone is probably worn out by the 71 pages of the sticky thread on this topic.

I've started a class action suit for this issue. I need 5 individuals with this problem to be initially named to file the suit.

From attorney " I need any pamphlets, user manuals or other paperwork from when the car was purchased. Ideally there be a separate document spelling out the warranty terms. Also a repair bill or something stating the exact issue."

Bonus is you are from South Carolina ! would make the suit much easier to file. Feel free to DM me if interested.

I'd like to join! 2015 ram 1500 tradesman. 64k on it. Camshaft. Lifters. Bent rod and it needs a new head now. They're telling me they need to replace the entire engine. Literally 9200 dollars and I'm a single mom to 5 kids. It's my only vehicle and they keep telling me my warranty isnt covered because of "lack of lubrication" even though I change the oil every 5k. Sent proof. Still denied. All because they said they've never seen this issue in a truck with 64k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI!

I figured I would post here as everyone is probably worn out by the 71 pages of the sticky thread on this topic.

I've started a class action suit for this issue. I need 5 individuals with this problem to be initially named to file the suit.

From attorney " I need any pamphlets, user manuals or other paperwork from when the car was purchased. Ideally there be a separate document spelling out the warranty terms. Also a repair bill or something stating the exact issue."

Bonus is you are from South Carolina ! would make the suit much easier to file. Feel free to DM me if interested.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts