DODGE RAM FORUM banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have seen no cam lifter problems on any of these posts on 3 different discussions on 2016 - 2020 engines. Perhaps they have not reached l00k+ or the changing of lifters in 2016 helped in some way. Can see how the repair or replacement is costly, but then wondered if the efficiency of this small block 5.7 and savings on gasoline over this many miles with the eco engine is equal to repairs. The Chevy vortex 5.3 which gets great millage tends to blow up frequently around l00k and cost 6k to replace the engine which should not happen also. I've recently bought a 2019 ram 5.7 but only have a 75k mi. warranty and hope the same issue with lifters/cam does not happen but after reading all these posts I wonder if I should sell it before it reaches l00k. Traded in a low mileage Nissan frontier with 20k and hope I do not regret doing so.

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts
102,000+ miles on my 13 and the engine sounds/runs like new.

There is no correlation between cylinder deactivation and lifter failure; people point to that because they don't understand how it works and its easy to blame. The pre-Eagle 5.7's had some issues with valve seats dropping; the Eagle Hemi's only real issue seems to be this cam thing which wasn't a problem on the earlier engines that had cylinder deactivation in 2006,2007, and 2008.

·
Registered
157 Posts
102,000+ miles on my 13 and the engine sounds/runs like new.

There is no correlation between cylinder deactivation and lifter failure; people point to that because they don't understand how it works and its easy to blame. The pre-Eagle 5.7's had some issues with valve seats dropping; the Eagle Hemi's only real issue seems to be this cam thing which wasn't a problem on the earlier engines that had cylinder deactivation in 2006,2007, and 2008.
As all ways I look forward to your in put on this issue. And happy to hear that you '13 is going strong.... But damn it, what is the cause of the problem? By my nature, not knowing drives me crazy......not really, but you know what I mean!

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts
As all ways I look forward to your in put on this issue. And happy to hear that you '13 is going strong.... But damn it, what is the cause of the problem? By my nature, not knowing drives me crazy......not really, but you know what I mean!
Yeah I know what you mean. I have come to think that its a QC issue that doesn't affect everyone, but I'm financially prepared to either repair or replace an engine, or trade up to a 2500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to your list I have a 2014 and have that exact same chirping sound , brought the truck to Dodge they said get rid of the truck.. please be free to email me at : [email protected] { Kelvin Richard }

61 - 65 of 65 Posts