DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone know what to do about a cambered-out steering tire and wheel on the right side of the truck? Looking at the suspension system, I do not see the typical upper A arm normally associated with the 1500s. My truck has 47,000 miles on original Nexen 17s and the wear is really bad on the outside edge of the tire with little wear on the inside. I'll post a photo as soon as I get a chance.

This is really crappy as I haul cars with this truck and the downtime is killing me.

·
Super Moderator
34,742 Posts
Yeah you have a solid axle front instead of independent like the 1/2 tons do. 2500s and up have solid front axles, Ford uses solid front axles in their heavy duties, except for the 2wd 3/4 tons; Chevy uses independent front suspension on all their trucks.

Since I have a 1500 I am not too familiar with solid front axles when it comes to alignment, but have you looked at the ball joints? 47,000 miles is earlier than I'd expect to have to replace ball joints, but since you use it to tow for a living then that very well could be it depending on your conditions. I have seen a few older Fords with big tires that had way too much negative camber, which is the opposite of what you describe, but maybe your issue is a similar thing

1 - 2 of 2 Posts