DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a camshaft in my ram. I have a cai ,exhaust and diablosport intune. What cam should I get? Should I change the valve springs?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
depends how aggressive you want to go, are you 2wd or 4 wd? If you want it to be pcm friendly the comp 260 is a nice cam...as for springs you want to get 16x 6.1 exhaust springs and 6.1 pushrods...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its 2wd. I have no idea about camshafts. Just heard it was a good power adder. I also want to get long tube headers at the same time. I am kinda leaning towards comp came or lunati. I don't mind get a custom tune

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
if you don't mind a custom tune then you can look at inertiamotorsports.com , Stu has some really nice grinds to choose from...great guy to talk to also, call him, tell him what you got, what you plan to get, and where you want the power to come and he has a cam for that... I wanted a more midrange type of cam which was aggressive (at the time).. mine does require custom tuning but once dialed in, my truck is a dream to drive... I have the Spartan cam

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Every 2003 owner loves a challenge. You will be hampered by the inability to tune it properly. You will be able to load a custom tune, but diablo will not raise speed limiter or rev limiter on the 2003's. No idle adjustment either.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
yup..2003 is the wicked stepchild for pcms... just get a mild lsa cam and you should be good.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
what we had to do with one 03 we installed a cam in was use a psc1 piggyback to pull a little fuel at idle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love a challenge! My other vehicle is a Jeep wrangler so it's in my blood LOL! So should I get headers first? Long tubes or shortys?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a 268 ready to be put in, just need some more info. I know I need 16::: 6.1L exhaust springs, what about the push rods? I know 6.1 p-rods is it just exhaust, or both for the push rods. Intake and exhaust?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Buy a compcams adjustable pushrod checker thats what im in the process of doing. To insure i have the correct pushrod length. You will get the maximum performance out of your cam with the correct pushrod length and it will eliminate the dreaded hemitick for the most part... Dont assume that 6.1 pushrods will work with your motor cause not every motor is the same... Here is the tool in action, now i know that this is a completly different style head but the priciples still apply. And plus this is what STU at Inertia does with his motor and if STU does it then it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqx8Cs6O6Vo

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I love a challenge! My other vehicle is a Jeep wrangler so it's in my blood LOL! So should I get headers first? Long tubes or shortys?
Oh and btw if you are getting headers bolt them to the heads while they are out of the truck its a life saver and will cut intsall time in half. Just dont forget to install the lifters before you put the heads on cuz somtimes its easy to get caught up in the moment. And take your time make sure you give yourself plenty of time for the install and make plans if things go bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.