DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have a 97 1500 5.2 2wd, thats just over 273k. It has a bad water pump, I can imagine the timing set needs to be changed, and it burns oil through the plenum. With me having to pull the motor this far down, I feel I might as well change the cam.

I dont want to change everything. I want to use stock replacement rollers and pushrods, and really dont want to change the springs because I dont have a way to keep the valve from dropping, and Im not pulling the heads. Im not looking for crazy power. Just something to bump it up since Im already there. I plan on getting headers and a tune, so Id be happy with 230 to the ground its supposed to make 230 at the flywheel from factory.

I do tow with the truck (I have 3 Tbirds), so the main goal is more down low torque, and a nice sound at idle. Any suggestions would be great.

Wile

·
Registered
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport, LTHeaders, S&B CAI, DIabloS T2, HF, PD, UPR CC, RGB UnderGlow9” lift on 37s
143 Posts
Jay Greene!
Review.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am waiting on a Hellraiser Cam to be delivered from Demon Motorsports, should be here Saturday and won't be long before its installed. I already have the tune and love it! I can give you an update once the cam is in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok. Have heard of a few since I made this. 318 RV cams and Purple cams have been recommended but I can only find flat tappets, Id like to keep it a roller. Any of you have other recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got another recommendation.

Comp Cams #20-810-9.

Cam Style:Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:1,400-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:218
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:224
Duration at 050 inch Lift:218 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:268
Advertised Exhaust Duration:276
Advertised Duration:268 int./276 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.535 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.531 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.535 int./0.531 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):110

Im not familiar with Mopars, so I dont know if I can run this cam in a stock engine. The stock springs are staying if that helps.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Got another recommendation.

Comp Cams #20-810-9.

Cam Style:Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:1,400-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:218
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:224
Duration at 050 inch Lift:218 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:268
Advertised Exhaust Duration:276
Advertised Duration:268 int./276 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.535 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.531 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.535 int./0.531 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):110

Im not familiar with Mopars, so I dont know if I can run this cam in a stock engine. The stock springs are staying if that helps.
You absolutely CANNOT run that cam with stock springs.The 5.2's had better cam specs and lift than the 5.9's to begin with, so a swap like that is out. You're up against it in this situation. There are certain physical limitations here. The stock springs are tired already. ANYthing you do to improve the cam specs will stress them more, and will result in floating the valves at upper rpms, or worse. A dropped valve is never good. The RV cams and purple shafts are flat tappet models only, though you can find similar specs in rollers. The stock 5.2 cam is pretty close to the RV grind already. The RV cam upgrade for the 5.2 was a popular route back when the 5.2 was called a 318, and had a pathetically small flat tappet cam. The 5.2 Magnum, essentially, got this upgrade in a roller cam. I was thinking since you didn't want to pull the heads, a rocker arm swap would be something, BUT any increase will, besides adding stress to the springs, also add stress in the cylinders. Those heads are tired too. At the least, you need a valve job. Hate to say it, but you really, really need a new sheet of paper. Hopping up a tired engine is just not a good plan. I'd snag as much as possible with a full exhaust upgrade, some sort of low restriction air cold air induction. These are transferrable to a new engine setup, and thus, not wasted money. And no, if you're thinking keep the valve lift low and increase duration, while that makes for a nice lumpy exhaust note, the computer won't like it, requiring some decent aftermarket tuning to deal with it.$$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You absolutely CANNOT run that cam with stock springs.The 5.2's had better cam specs and lift than the 5.9's to begin with, so a swap like that is out. You're up against it in this situation. There are certain physical limitations here. The stock springs are tired already. ANYthing you do to improve the cam specs will stress them more, and will result in floating the valves at upper rpms, or worse. A dropped valve is never good. The RV cams and purple shafts are flat tappet models only, though you can find similar specs in rollers. The stock 5.2 cam is pretty close to the RV grind already. The RV cam upgrade for the 5.2 was a popular route back when the 5.2 was called a 318, and had a pathetically small flat tappet cam. The 5.2 Magnum, essentially, got this upgrade in a roller cam. I was thinking since you didn't want to pull the heads, a rocker arm swap would be something, BUT any increase will, besides adding stress to the springs, also add stress in the cylinders. Those heads are tired too. At the least, you need a valve job. Hate to say it, but you really, really need a new sheet of paper. Hopping up a tired engine is just not a good plan. I'd snag as much as possible with a full exhaust upgrade, some sort of low restriction air cold air induction. These are transferrable to a new engine setup, and thus, not wasted money. And no, if you're thinking keep the valve lift low and increase duration, while that makes for a nice lumpy exhaust note, the computer won't like it, requiring some decent aftermarket tuning to deal with it.$$$
Thank you for finally giving me proper answer. If they already have a decent cam, Ill leave it. I always figured the 5.2s and 5.9s were the same except for displacement. I dont care about sound, or high revving, I just was considering a swap since Im changing the water pump, timing set, and fixing the plenum gasket.

Ill look at gears instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts