DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can anyone tell me why my leather seats have a white film on them????

25511 Views 91 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  LadyRam
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why my leather seats have a white film on them.

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Longhorn with only 1900 kms. I opened my truck the other day and noticed that the entire interior appears to have a white film on the seats. I wiped it off with my hand but it came back...

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same issue or is it possible that the leather is drying out????

My truck is in my garage that is heated and has not been driven this winter. Am I missing something here.

Thanks,

Ed
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

· Registered
17,678 Posts
If you're willing to try it, you could put a dessicatant in the cab while it's in the garage and see if drying out the cab improves anything. By now I'm willing to help you try anything as it's extremely bizzare, but I'm glad to head the dealership is taking it seriously and not just brushing it off.

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah they are treating me very well. The kicker is I drove three hours to another dealer to pick this up due to the dealer near me not having one in stock with the options I wanted.

The Service Manager from the dealer near me is really doing a great job with the customer service, I just hope this is some type of fix for this issure... It is very odd to say the least.

· Registered
217 Posts
It seems to me that it would already be cost effective for them to just replace the skins. It's not really all that hard and Chrysler doesn't have to pay near what you do for the upholstery. By the time they get done playing around with it it will end up costing them the same.

· Registered
569 Posts
Wow that is odd

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I totally agree with you Al E. Gator,

With that said I was speaking to Dodge Canada and the first thing that I was told is that they are not going to replace the seats just because they are turning white. They want them to diagnose to see if it is a manufactures warranted item.

When I spoke to the Dodge rep it was like he was telling me that I put something on my seats. I informed him that I have never put anything at all on my seats....

So here I am waiting to here. On the plus side got a chrome bug deflector on my trip to the dealer so put that on today...

I hope this gets worked out... I have no other ideas of what if causing this??? and neither does my Dodge dealer...

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey CdnoilRam,

I have thought about everything and I was told not to put anything at all on or in the truck until this gets worked out... I did use the conditioner on the drivers side. Did half of the truck and it looked good for about two hours.

While at the dealer the white chalky look came right back after applying the conditioner. The other side of the truck is now getting whiter??????? No idea why....

The good news is I still love this truck and it will all get worked out in the end...

· Registered
8,923 Posts
After seeing the pic's that looks to me like leather fat spew. It's the natural oils and fats in the leather coming to the surface. A buddy of mine bought a stupid expensive leather recliner that did that exact thing. The furniture store says it happens often and gave him a bottle of spew remover. Did the recliner once and never had it return.
Here is a little youtube vid on the subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hbyp-wmVO8

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Stump3R,

Thanks a bunch for the video. I will be forwarding that to my service manager looking after this problem.

Hopefully this does the trick...

Thanks again,

Ed

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey Stump3R,

Do you know if this can be purchased???

If so can you let me know where. Just got off the phone with the dealer and will be calling me back.

Thanks again,

Ed

· Registered
8,923 Posts
Not sure where you could track it down locally. I googled and found leathermaster.ca out of Winnipeg. Might be worth calling an upholstery shop, they should be able to either get it for you or point you in the right direction.

· Registered
8,923 Posts
I appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Ed
Anytime...it's what we do here :D
Keep us updated, I really want to see if the dealer will take care of it.

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When I spoke to him and informed him about the info that you gave me he said that he would look into it right away. I was also informed about saddle soap however with that said he stated that he would call me back after speaking to his district manager.

I am soooooo happy to be part of this forum... I really appreciate all the input from the members...

Thanks again and I will let you know as soon as I do....

Ed

· Registered
17,678 Posts
I'd never come across this with any of the leathers I have or even the saddelry we have out at the ranch. Maybe it's due to the softer type of leather used in upholstery as compared to boots and tack.

You can order it online through leathermaster.ca, or if you lived out here, it's available through the Lammles western wear stores.

http://leathermaster.ca/products.php?product=SPEW-REMOVER-250ml

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
CdnoilRam,

Thanks and as a matter of fact I do have family out your way so I will get them to purchase some and send it to me... The other good news is that I received a call from the dealership and they are going to apply it just in case something goes wrong then there are no questions about the warranty issue....

Again thanks alot, it is really appreciated...

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey irnwkrkev,

I have been told from some members that it is the natural oils coming up through the leather... Its called 'SPEW". This is new to all of the folks at Dodge... There is a SPEW remover that will actually take the white out of the seats...

I am waiting right now for them to get back to me... They will be treating my seats and I will let you know how it goes.. If you can, post a pic... My rear seats are completely white... I did try and treat them with the leather conditioner that my dealer provided but it came back within 15 minutes????

I am hoping that this thread will help out some people that have the same issue.... It just goes to show that it pays to be a member of the Z!!!!!!!

Thanks... Let me know how you make out...

ED

· Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to order the LeatherMasters spew remover ($30.00+ for 250ml!). I'm sure my case isn't as bad since I'm in Miami Fl. One of the links I read about "spew" mentioned how the cold brings it out so I'm sure that is why your case is severe. I'm glad you made this thread. I just bought my longhorn in December and have been reading up on everything here. Apparently this isn't a very common problem but happens with high-end leather.

· Registered
15,719 Posts
i have never heard of or experienced spew. but since there is a product to take care of it, i guess it exists. i would ask for new seats and leather as this to me is a defect. other wise all leather seat products would have this.

· Registered
25,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah I totally agree... First thing that I was told when I called was that they will not be replacing the seats until they diagnose the problem... So I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer... I will up date you as soon as I hear...

I will also post a few more pics to show how bad mine is getting...

Ed

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.