DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, is there a way to turn off the screen on the backup camera?

First, let me explain what I have tried. Second, I will explain why. Let me say I totally understand why it may be impossible, for safety reasons. That is why I will explain why.

This is very specific to evening driving. I have tried pushing the ‘screen off’ button. No impact. I have tried dimming down the dimmer button, no luck. Tried cutting the lights totally off, and then trying maybe just the parking lights, no impact. Can’t even get it to dim a little (which would be a pretty good solution).

Why? We are towing a horse trailer in this situation, and backing it into our property at night. Because there is a horse trailer behind us (and/or the tailgate is down), the reverse camera has no benefit. And here is where it gets particular. Backing up in the dark with a big ass gooseneck horse trailer is tough enough. The rear view is SUPER bright. In a dark cab at night, it is an all consuming brightness that makes it tough to use the limited light in your mirrors. The wifey (who does the most towing, with her horses) has taken to covering the screen up.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Is this a crazy want?

*** wait... I just thought of something. What about a piece of tiny duct tape over the camera lens? I think the screen would still be super bright, though. Maybe I will try that tonight.

As always, thank you in advance for any and all feedback

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I don't have the 8.4 3C radio

Mine is just the 8.4 RA4 radio & i can use my headlight dimmer switch to make the Instrument Cluster & the radio so dim it is hardly noticeable

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. Mine looks different, and the dimmer switch definitely does not work. Maybe I should have mentioned I have the Big Horn trim level. Perhaps that is a different radio. It's pretty great, very good sound, and has the Sirius XM built in... which is about to become obsolete when my free trial runs out.

I get the safety concern, but its nuts that the dimmer doesn't work... and the big ole 'screen off' button does nothing when in reverse.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a button that turns the entire screen off

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snowgoose > I do, too. And usually it works. However, in the circumstance of backing up in the dark, it will not stand down.

Does yours turn off in reverse?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Snowgoose > I do, too. And usually it works. However, in the circumstance of backing up in the dark, it will not stand down.
Does yours turn off in reverse?
Lono,
I don't know, never had a reason to turn it off in reverse. I will test it and let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone figured this out I have the same exact issue chrome on a horse trailer is blinding in the cab at night

Team, is there a way to turn off the screen on the backup camera?

First, let me explain what I have tried. Second, I will explain why. Let me say I totally understand why it may be impossible, for safety reasons. That is why I will explain why.

This is very specific to evening driving. I have tried pushing the ‘screen off’ button. No impact. I have tried dimming down the dimmer button, no luck. Tried cutting the lights totally off, and then trying maybe just the parking lights, no impact. Can’t even get it to dim a little (which would be a pretty good solution).

Why? We are towing a horse trailer in this situation, and backing it into our property at night. Because there is a horse trailer behind us (and/or the tailgate is down), the reverse camera has no benefit. And here is where it gets particular. Backing up in the dark with a big ass gooseneck horse trailer is tough enough. The rear view is SUPER bright. In a dark cab at night, it is an all consuming brightness that makes it tough to use the limited light in your mirrors. The wifey (who does the most towing, with her horses) has taken to covering the screen up.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Is this a crazy want?

*** wait... I just thought of something. What about a piece of tiny duct tape over the camera lens? I think the screen would still be super bright, though. Maybe I will try that tonight.

As always, thank you in advance for any and all feedback

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone figured this out I have the same exact issue chrome on a horse trailer is blinding in the cab at night
I'm also wondering if anyone figured this out. I've asked the same question a few years ago on the TDR forum and no one seemed to have an answer over there either other than covering up the screen with a towel or something.

I have the AUX buttons in my truck and I'm thinking about using one of them to override the camera infeed so the system thinks there's a third camera which would just be blank, resulting in a black screen. I haven't figured out how to do it yet though.

I've also thought about splitting the camera feed from the tailgate to a module that I could choose a different camera to feed it so i could put a camera on the back of the trailer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts