DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '13 Ram Sport, and I want to widen its stance. I plan on getting a 2" or 2.5" front leveling kit. I want to use a 20" rim (black), wrapped in the stock street tires, to widen the stance. Looking for a 0mm to -24mm offset on the rim. Personally, I want to create somewhat of a "deep dish" look. I want a noticeable lip on the rim (maybe 1 to 2 inches?). I have 2 questions about this:
  1. Will this setup even fit? I'm not looking to get a taller tire. I do not want mud tires either. I want to use the stock tires...98% of my driving is on paved roads. I just want to push them out wider to create my preferred stance.
  2. Approximately how far will this setup push the tires out? I thought the stock tires were approx +20mm offset. So therefore a 0mm offset should push the tires out by almost an inch from where they are now...but I've seen some 0mm offsets, and they don't seem to do this. They barely move the tires out at all (at least to my eyes). Let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
You certainly have to level your truck to do this, but you already said you would.
If running them on stock tires, you should have any issues at all.
Without level, the tire will grab the front bumper when turning.

With a 20x10 -12 set, you'll stick out 2.5-3"
With a 20x10 -24, you'll stick out 3-3.5"

If you need pricing on any set of rims, let me know :smileup:

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you go with the 20x9 wheels you mentioned, the 0 offset will be pushed out 3/4" from the stock postion, and if you go with the -24 offset they will be pushed out about 1 3/4" from the stock position. Grab a measuring tape and a straight edge to see how far out they will stick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You certainly have to level your truck to do this, but you already said you would.
If running them on stock tires, you should have any issues at all.
Without level, the tire will grab the front bumper when turning.

With a 20x10 -12 set, you'll stick out 2.5-3"
With a 20x10 -24, you'll stick out 3-3.5"

If you need pricing on any set of rims, let me know :smileup:
Will the stock tires be able to handle a 10" wide rim? The factory tires are 275/60R20...which I believe measures out to 10.83" of width. Isn't only a 0.83" difference between tire and rim...well...kinda small? Considering the stock setup is 8" wide rim with 10.83" wide tire?

And yes I want the truck to be level...no questions asked. I just hate the forward rake look. And an extra 2" clearance should help with the rubbing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you go with the 20x9 wheels you mentioned, the 0 offset will be pushed out 3/4" from the stock postion, and if you go with the -24 offset they will be pushed out about 1 3/4" from the stock position. Grab a measuring tape and a straight edge to see how far out they will stick.
That's definitely what I thought. Mathematically it works out. Then I saw some guy with 20x9's with 0 offset, and they didn't really look ANY wider than my stock setup. So maybe I need closer to a -12 offset to see the difference.

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
Will the stock tires be able to handle a 10" wide rim? The factory tires are 275/60R20...which I believe measures out to 10.83" of width. Isn't only a 0.83" difference between tire and rim...well...kinda small? Considering the stock setup is 8" wide rim with 10.83" wide tire?

And yes I want the truck to be level...no questions asked. I just hate the forward rake look. And an extra 2" clearance should help with the rubbing.
It can, but it will looks stretched.
It wont have the balloon on the sidewall as you presently do so right now, or it wont be as evident

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
That's definitely what I thought. Mathematically it works out. Then I saw some guy with 20x9's with 0 offset, and they didn't really look ANY wider than my stock setup. So maybe I need closer to a -12 offset to see the difference.
mathematically thats what it should be, but it never is the case....LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can, but it will looks stretched.
It wont have the balloon on the sidewall as you presently do so right now, or it wont be as evident
Well it's not like the rounded/balloon sidewall is really a feature I'm living and dying by...I'm more interested in actually getting a nice lip/dish in the rim, as well as pushing the outside edge of the tire around 1 to 1 3/4" past the fender. I was HOPING to be able to achieve this with a 20x9 rim, along with my stock street tires...but I don't know if this is possible.

I also don't know if there are any 20x9 black rims, with a lip, at approx a -12 offset. hahah

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
Well it's not like the rounded/balloon sidewall is really a feature I'm living and dying by...I'm more interested in actually getting a nice lip/dish in the rim, as well as pushing the outside edge of the tire around 1 to 1 3/4" past the fender. I was HOPING to be able to achieve this with a 20x9 rim, along with my stock street tires...but I don't know if this is possible.

I also don't know if there are any 20x9 black rims, with a lip, at approx a -12 offset. hahah
I hear you....just a stretched on a truck is not something many fancy.
Just giving you the facts :smileup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear you....just a stretched on a truck is not something many fancy.
Just giving you the facts :smileup:
I'm not quite sure what exactly you mean, sorry. If you mean that the "tire stretched on the rim" look isn't what people want, then yeah I know exactly what you mean.

Do you know of any 20x9's with -12 offset? I know I like the Moto Metal 962's, but the offset is 0mm. Therefore the lip/dish isn't really that deep. I mean, I could use a 1/2" spacer or something if I want to stick the tires out a touch further...but that doesn't increase the depth of the lip.

Bottom line, I want to make the truck look nice and wide-stanced without seriously lifting it. Last truck was lifted...and I wasn't happy with that lol.

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
Studerco, excuse my ignorance and misread of your post.
I just assumed you wanted a 20x10 :doh:

20x9 will have the same look as you have now. Of course it will look different and stick out further. But yes, 20 x9 will look the same and with a - 12 offset it will push you out 31mm from stock. Which is +19 offset.
Sorry for the confusion...

If you need rims or need pricing on those let me know the brand you want and I can provide you with pricing. :smileup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Studerco, excuse my ignorance and misread of your post.
I just assumed you wanted a 20x10 :doh:

20x9 will have the same look as you have now. Of course it will look different and stick out further. But yes, 20 x9 will look the same and with a - 12 offset it will push you out 31mm from stock. Which is +19 offset.
Sorry for the confusion...

If you need rims or need pricing on those let me know the brand you want and I can provide you with pricing. :smileup:
Makes sense now. I kinda figured a 20x10 would be a little too wide for the 10.83" tire anyways lol

In specific, I noticed the black Moto Metal 962's come in a 20x9 with a 0mm offset. Only problem with those is they only come in "gloss black", whereas I'd prefer matte black. But sure, if you have pricing on those, that would be pretty helpful, even just to see what I have to save up to get them. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,032 Posts
Makes sense now. I kinda figured a 20x10 would be a little too wide for the 10.83" tire anyways lol

In specific, I noticed the black Moto Metal 962's come in a 20x9 with a 0mm offset. Only problem with those is they only come in "gloss black", whereas I'd prefer matte black. But sure, if you have pricing on those, that would be pretty helpful, even just to see what I have to save up to get them. Thanks.
Yea. Sorry bout the confusion.
I had the Moto 962 in black and that's why I did get them. I wanted gloss vs black as my truck is black.

You can look up fuel octane in 20x9
They are matte black and pretty sweet.
But I don't know your taste..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't read all of the posts, but why not get rid of the badyears :4-dontknow:
Well my last truck was lifted with MT's. Really wasn't all it's cracked up to be...especially when I use my truck as a pickup-car. 98% of my driving is paved roads. This truck has about 5300 km on it right now, and the tires are fine for me. Wouldn't make any sense to me to buy a new set of tires when the current ones are barely used and work great for what I need lol. And personally, I just couldn't justify the price.

Once these tires wear out, I'll probably get another set of 275 wide street tires. Maybe 285's if I feel the need. Definitely not looking at mudding out the tires at all this time around lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea. Sorry bout the confusion.
I had the Moto 962 in black and that's why I did get them. I wanted gloss vs black as my truck is black.

You can look up fuel octane in 20x9
They are matte black and pretty sweet.
But I don't know your taste..
Yeah my truck is black too. I just looked at the Fuel Octane...still like the Moto 962's better for sure. Let me know if you have a price on those. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Well my last truck was lifted with MT's. Really wasn't all it's cracked up to be...especially when I use my truck as a pickup-car. 98% of my driving is paved roads. This truck has about 5300 km on it right now, and the tires are fine for me. Wouldn't make any sense to me to buy a new set of tires when the current ones are barely used and work great for what I need lol. And personally, I just couldn't justify the price.

Once these tires wear out, I'll probably get another set of 275 wide street tires. Maybe 285's if I feel the need. Definitely not looking at mudding out the tires at all this time around lol
Right. I was just thinking you could go ahead and get your street tires in the size you need. Would allow you to get any wheel and offset you wanted and not have to settle. But I fully understand the coin side of it as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right. I was just thinking you could go ahead and get your street tires in the size you need. Would allow you to get any wheel and offset you wanted and not have to settle. But I fully understand the coin side of it as well.
Yeah the price is really what's killing me with the new tire idea. I know I can get a "better overall deal" with a tire&rim package, but it's still more cash out of my pocket. Last truck I had, I spent over $14k in upgrades, etc. in about 6 months. That was bad. And a huge waste overall. Trying to do things more conservatively this time around. hahaha

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Yeah the price is really what's killing me with the new tire idea. I know I can get a "better overall deal" with a tire&rim package, but it's still more cash out of my pocket. Last truck I had, I spent over $14k in upgrades, etc. in about 6 months. That was bad. And a huge waste overall. Trying to do things more conservatively this time around. hahaha
touche sir touche haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts