DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ayo guys how you doing?

Unfortunately my engine have to be swapped since its beyond repair every time i get a problem first one was camshaft/camphaser then valve stem steals then timing chain and tensioner and guide now one of my piston begin to worn out since i get small white/greyish vapor when the car sits overnight from the exhaust during start up and it fades away and btw i changed the head gasket i overhauled the engine paid more than 3000$ i had it.. so i was surfing ebay and other web stores and i found some low milage hemi engine from auction cars or totaled from insurance companies,

Anyway my question can i swap the engine from a model 2015 hemi to my 2011 hemi since i cant find low milage between 09-12 engines plus 2013+ engine has 5 more hp :LOL: all i heard is i only need to swap a ton of electronics for the gauges etc... have any one done it?:i_rolleyes:

just wondering guys what do you think? :shy2:

·
Super Moderator
34,458 Posts
The main difference will be that your 2011 truck was set up for hydraulic power steering, and the 2013+ trucks use electric power steering, which is where the extra 5 horses and 3 lb ft of torque come from. Other than that they are the same, but IDK what you need for it to fit

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the engines are indeed the same. Just swap your sensors and engine wiring harness from your 2011 onto the new donor engine. You may have to swap other components like manifolds if they changed. I have done this multiple times to get a fresher engine into an older vehicle, its really not that difficult once you get started. If you were to try to use the 2015 gauges and engine control electronics you would need the newer dash harness, body harness, under hood harnesses, the TIPM, WIN, fobs and PCM from the newer truck. You may also need the chassis harness. The TIPM, WIN, fobs and PCM would all have to be from the same truck to work together or have to be programmed together using the donor vehicles VIN.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I doubt there are major casting changes between the years, everything should bolt in without problems.

As mentioned the power steering is different after 2013 but I would think the mounting holes are still there for the brackets. The only other thing that comes to mind is the warmup system for the transmission. After 2013 Hemi's had a heat transfer system to help warm the trans faster, do not know if this is a module or is built into the block. Something to check out.

Other than some sensors that may be different I would not think it would be a major problem to swap the engines. Doubt that you would need to go the route of all those harnesses, just find the sensors that match you truck and hook them up.

Doesn't hurt to do more research to find out what you can about doing the swap.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
pull the original engine & set it on the ground or on some kind of stand
then set the 2015 engine right next to it

as you pull anything like a sensor off the old engine, clean it up a bit & stick it on the 2015 if it appears different
Hopefully you won't need to change out things like the intake manifold, but if you do, it will just take a bit longer to make the swap

put the extra parts aside for now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply guys, got it done did what GTyankee said and followed your tips, yep i swapped it took my donor PCM, WIM dashboard, camshaft sensor and even the donors keyless fob which i had to use them got them all in what an adventure it was!

Big repss for all!

·
Super Moderator
34,458 Posts
Thanks for your reply guys, got it done did what GTyankee said and followed your tips, yep i swapped it took my donor PCM, WIM dashboard, camshaft sensor and even the donors keyless fob which i had to use them got them all in what an adventure it was!

Big repss for all!
Sweet! Did going from electric to hydraulic power steering cause any issue, or did you just use your original water pump?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! Did going from electric to hydraulic power steering cause any issue, or did you just use your original water pump?
No issue at all and kept the original water pump, all good and its kinda odd since the odometer is 21,450 miles from the donors dashboard and the engine milage too, but i really wanted my old odometer it was 743,560 miles :D wanted it to reach 1 million mile as PR for me. Longest vehicle i have ever driven that's why am keeping it i really love my truck, but i have 1 issue the ABS and 4wd services lights are on am trying figure it out the issue i think because i had 4wd auto and the donor only has 4wd lock & low and the the 4wd works fine no idea.. I hope isnt related to gear ratio mine is 3.55 and donors 3.92 plus i have 6 speed tranny and donors is 8 speed tranny but i still kept the donors truck in my garage its rear ended badly so badly the drive shaft is twisted so just the front the only thing is good even took the grill shell the trim donors is laramie

·
Registered
130 Posts
No issue at all and kept the original water pump, all good and its kinda odd since the odometer is 21,450 miles from the donors dashboard and the engine milage too, but i really wanted my old odometer it was 743,560 miles :D wanted it to reach 1 million mile as PR for me. Longest vehicle i have ever driven that's why am keeping it i really love my truck, but i have 1 issue the ABS and 4wd services lights are on am trying figure it out the issue i think because i had 4wd auto and the donor only has 4wd lock & low and the the 4wd works fine no idea.. I hope isnt related to gear ratio mine is 3.55 and donors 3.92 plus i have 6 speed tranny and donors is 8 speed tranny but i still kept the donors truck in my garage its rear ended badly so badly the drive shaft is twisted so just the front the only thing is good even took the grill shell the trim donors is laramie
The gear ratio would cause your speedo to be off but that shouldn't prevent the transfer case from doing anything. Your using a the 6 speed that came with your truck but the PCM, TIPM and WIN from the donor that was an 8 speed? How do you expect the PCM to know how to control a 6 speed transmission when its programmed for an 8 speed? Also my understanding is that the auto 4WD capable trucks used a different transfer case controller (located under the glove box) and a different model transfer case. Please specify exactly what truck you started with and what it had and what truck you used as a donor and what it had. You need an ABS capable scanner. The ABS module may have changed between the trucks and can be swapped without removing brake lines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gear ratio would cause your speedo to be off but that shouldn't prevent the transfer case from doing anything. Your using a the 6 speed that came with your truck but the PCM, TIPM and WIN from the donor that was an 8 speed? How do you expect the PCM to know how to control a 6 speed transmission when its programmed for an 8 speed? Also my understanding is that the auto 4WD capable trucks used a different transfer case controller (located under the glove box) and a different model transfer case. Please specify exactly what truck you started with and what it had and what truck you used as a donor and what it had. You need an ABS capable scanner. The ABS module may have changed between the trucks and can be swapped without removing brake lines.
My Truck: | Donors:
Dodge ram 1500 2011 || Dodge ram 1500 2015

BRAKES TYPE : Disc | BRAKES TYPE : Disc
BRAKE System: Antilock (ABS) || Antilock (ABS)
TRANSMISSIONS: 65RFE | ZF Torqueflite 8HP70
Type: 6-speed automatic | 8-speed automatic

Gear ratio: 1 st 3.00 | 4.71
2 nd 1.67 | 3.14
3 rd 1.50 | 2.10
4 th 1.00 | 1.67
5 th 0.75 | 1.29
6 th 0.67 | 1.00
7 th -- | 0.84
8 th -- | 0.67
Reverse 3.00 | 3.30

TRANSFERCASE:
2-Speed electric shift NV246 On | Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly
demand Auto | On-Demand System(BW44-44)

AXLE RATIO: 3.55 | 3.92

when i drive it takes long time to shift to next gear and when i manual shift it after 6th gear the engine shuts down and the check engine light blinks 10 times and traction light comes is on now all the time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The problem is you have a mix of parts that aren't setup to work together. Your 2015 donor computer doens't know how to control the 6 speed transmission or auto 4wd transfer case. There are two ways to fix this:
1. swap back in the electronics from your 2011 (not sure why these were swapped to begin with). You only needed to swap the 2011 engine wiring harness and sensors onto the 2015 donor if they were different. Then you could have just used your 2011 electronics (harnesses and dash components and cluster) and this wouldn't be happening.
2. swap in the transfer case, transfer case controller under the glove box, transfer case switch (in the dash) and the transmission from the 2015 donor into your 2011. Get the correct driveshaft for the 8 speed with your truck (i.e. crew/quad or regular cab) since you said the 2015 drive shaft was damaged. then you would need to get a tuner to correct the axle ratio so your speedo is correct.

If it was me I would choose option 2 and finish converting the truck into a 2015. This is basically what I did with my 2009 was convert it to a 2011 low mileage donor.

·
Super Moderator
34,458 Posts
The problem is you have a mix of parts that aren't setup to work together. Your 2015 donor computer doens't know how to control the 6 speed transmission or auto 4wd transfer case. There are two ways to fix this:
1. swap back in the electronics from your 2011 (not sure why these were swapped to begin with). You only needed to swap the 2011 engine wiring harness and sensors onto the 2015 donor if they were different. Then you could have just used your 2011 electronics (harnesses and dash components and cluster) and this wouldn't be happening.
2. swap in the transfer case, transfer case controller under the glove box, transfer case switch (in the dash) and the transmission from the 2015 donor into your 2011. Get the correct driveshaft for the 8 speed with your truck (i.e. crew/quad or regular cab) since you said the 2015 drive shaft was damaged. then you would need to get a tuner to correct the axle ratio so your speedo is correct.

If it was me I would choose option 2 and finish converting the truck into a 2015. This is basically what I did with my 2009 was convert it to a 2011 low mileage donor.
2 would be pretty involved, the dashes are very different from 09-12 and 13+ too

He needed a new engine, Id go option 1

·
Registered
130 Posts
2 would be pretty involved, the dashes are very different from 09-12 and 13+ too

He needed a new engine, Id go option 1
He already said he swapped the dashboard. So option 1 would require swapping it back. That's why I suggested option 2 since he already has the 8 speed lower mileage transmission. Pulling the dash isn't hard just involved. I had to pull my seats to do it. I had to also pull the interior trim and carpet to swap the cab harness. It really went pretty quickly and wasn't hard. The most challenging part was the rear seat because its awkward, heavy and had stuck hard to reach bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i went to the dealership programmed the computer, ( pcm,trim etc...) to read my 6 speed transmission changed wheel sensor that caused the abs and 4wd service light and i had to buy middle dashboard with auto 4wd function and i had to remove the gear handle and replace it from donor default handle. Had thermostat sensor problem lately changed it anyway.

For now all good :) i really appreciate your reply you saved me alot of time figuring it out.

·
Super Moderator
34,458 Posts
Yes i went to the dealership programmed the computer, ( pcm,trim etc...) to read my 6 speed transmission changed wheel sensor that caused the abs and 4wd service light and i had to buy middle dashboard with auto 4wd function and i had to remove the gear handle and replace it from donor default handle. Had thermostat sensor problem lately changed it anyway.

For now all good :) i really appreciate your reply you saved me alot of time figuring it out.
Thanks for following up and sharing what you did so that others can learn from your experience in the future.

I'd still love to see a pic of your odometer :wavey:

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
Thank you for posting your results through to the end
You would not believe how many people leave us wondering how things worked out

:rep:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Glad everything worked out for you and wasn't super complicated.

700k plus miles on that original Hemi? WOW!!

·
Registered
130 Posts

That's a good dealership that you were able to get them to do this. Did they program it to a VIN that was setup that way or how were they able to convince RAM to update the VINs configuration with a 6 vs 8 speed transmission? Seems like there are some details missing that could help others later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for dead thread resurrection.,. but do you believe it was possible to just long block swap the 2015 5.7l into the 2011? All parts and sensors work from the 2011 onto the 2015? Thanks,. Ryan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts