DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and didnt find anything on this so here goes. Can I switch to auto or 4wd while driving or do I need to be in park or something... Thanks

2008 Ram 1500 LH

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was reading the manual on my 06 ram and it says you can go from auto to 4h at up to 55mph as stated above... i have tested it and altough it works i wouldn't recommend it there shouldn't be any reason why you need to throw ur truck into 4h at 55 mph haha

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Agreed. I can't see a scenario where you should need to suddenly throw the truck in 4wd at 55 mph.

·
Registered
125 Posts
4WD Lo can only be done while parked or moving very slowly forward. There is a very good section in the owners manual that covers the operation of the transfer case.
i tried the 4low yesterday just to try it out and it took forever for it to accually engage. i was rolling slow enough that when it finally engaged the truck had already stopped rolling, 4low light was still flashing. did i do something wrong? this is my first 4X4 truck so i dont know if i was doing something wrong. i put it in neutral while slow rolling and waited for it to engaged but seemed to take a long time, i guessing close to 30sec, is that normal? thanks

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
i was reading the manual on my 06 ram and it says you can go from auto to 4h at up to 55mph as stated above... i have tested it and altough it works i wouldn't recommend it there shouldn't be any reason why you need to throw ur truck into 4h at 55 mph haha
Agreed. I can't see a scenario where you should need to suddenly throw the truck in 4wd at 55 mph.
If your not doing anything, take a trip up to North Dakota or Wisconsin....or even up to Canada at this time of year. Chances are you will find that elusive scenario. :)

i tried the 4low yesterday just to try it out and it took forever for it to accually engage. i was rolling slow enough that when it finally engaged the truck had already stopped rolling, 4low light was still flashing. did i do something wrong? this is my first 4X4 truck so i dont know if i was doing something wrong. i put it in neutral while slow rolling and waited for it to engaged but seemed to take a long time, i guessing close to 30sec, is that normal? thanks
The electronic shift system is pretty sensitive about all the conditions being just right for it to shift into 4lo. After you have done this a few times, you will get to know what is necessary for it to shift faster. Having said that, it will never be quick. About the fastest I've had mine shift is 5 seconds, but usually takes closer to 10 :)

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
As Brad12kx stated it can be a bit tricky. Here are the instructions from page 330 of the owners manual (for the auto transfer case), note that the transmission should be in Nuetral.

When shifting into or out of 4WD LOW some
gear noise may be heard. This noise is normal and is not detrimental to the vehicle or occupants. Shifting can be performed with the vehicle rolling 2 to
3 mph (3 to 5 km/h) or completely stopped.

Preferred Procedure
1. With the engine running, slow the vehicle to 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
3. While still rolling, rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired position.
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not flashing), shift the transmission back into gear.

Also note that the engine will rev much higher, the 4WD low setting is for slow speeds only, maximum of 25 mph (40 km/h).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad someone else asked this so I didnt have to, seems like common sense. Ive had my truck less than two months and I about did this when I was driving it home from the dealer. The transfer case switch is pretty close to the blower motor control, especially if your not familiar w/ the rig and trying to pay attention to the road. I was doing a lot more than 55 the whole way...

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks for the help. i followed what the manual said but i didnt realize that it was sensitive and needed the right conditions for it to engage. tried it again today and it engaged much faster into 4low. thanks agian.

to the OP, sorry i kinda hi-jacked yer thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem at all shifting from 2wd to 4wd Hi. As long as your are NOT spinning your tires in the process. If you need to drive above 55 mph you shoulded need 4wd.

I do it all the time in and out between 2wd to 4wd. Leaving the snowy sideroads to get to the main dry roads with traffic flying by, 4wd is very NICE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts