DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be brief I'm interested in purchasing a 5th Wheel that weighs 11K. Tongue weight is roughly 2,200 lbs.

My ram sticker on the door says GVWR: 10,000.
I weighed my truck on the CAT scale and got a total weight of 8280.
-Front axle: 4960 weight (rated to 6000lbs)
-Rear axle: 3320 (rated to 6500lbs)

Thus, this leaves me a payload availability of 10,000 - 8280 = 1720lbs. My truck is rated to tow up to 17,000 pounds, however that is not this issue. Payload is this issue.

My sticker also says front axle is rated for 6000lbs and rear is rated for 6500 lbs.

Based upon GVWR I would be over if I was to purchase this 5th wheel. However based upon axle capacities I've got plenty of room left over. Is the GVWR an overly conservative number? I know brakes and suspension come into play however I could upgrade those components if needed.

Please share your thoughts if it would be wise to consider this 5th wheel or should I look for something lighter.

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
No, you should not pull that trailer.
Can you pull it? Yes.

You want to really know the answer?
Go ask this question on an RV'ing forum.
Wear Flame Retardant Clothing.

Those guys pull, all the time. They have learn their lessons the hard way, either from their own experiences or that of others.

We, here, can tell you how to Mod, fix, repair, etc.

Towing?
You'll get mostly surmises, opinions, gues-t-mates, etc,
from those who have not done it, at all, or not done it, very much.

Go ask those who actually do it.
All the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that might be the case. On the RV forums I've asked the same question and have gotten mixed answers. That's why I came here. Thanks!!! I will error on the side of safety.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I figured that might be the case. On the RV forums I've asked the same question and have gotten mixed answers. That's why I came here. Thanks!!! I will error on the side of safety.
Mixed answers?
Seriously?
Find better Rv'ing forums.

Door stickers are absolutes. Nothing you can do to change those numbers, short of having the vehicle re-inspected, by the appropriate govt agency.
Not something usually done by private parties.

On issues, such as this, I've found that if it is close to be in question, it probably isn't prudent.

Good Luck to you, on whatever you decide.

PS

If you wait around, long enough, some one from the "Hell Yeah!" crowd will chime in that there is nothing wrong with your truck/trailer match-up and you should go for it.

FYI, don't let them hold your beer, while they have a video camera, actively recording.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I was getting the "Hell Yeah" crowd on the RV forum I was on. Which is why I was coming here for a 2nd opinion. I've already stated I'm going to error on the side of safety, so I'm looking at lighter options. Thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts