DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what it would cost to get a Rear Main Seal on a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie V8 4X4?

Also, can someone tell me how much just to replace the oil pan gasket?

Just ballpark, so when I go take it to the shop tomorrow, I won't get messed over because I am a woman.

I am so upset because I just bought this second hand, and it is losing oil like crazy. Yes, I am a woman, and I might have made a mistake buying it, but I do not have a knowledgeable man in my life to ask to check it out beforehand.
It seems like everything I do is the wrong decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The cost will mainly be labor since you have to pull the transmission and oil pan. It should take about 6 hours, so make sure they don't stiff you by adding a ton of hours to the bill. It will need an oil change as well, so rear main seal, oil pan gasket, oil change, and labor. Maybe $80 in materials, and 6 hours x the labor rate.

Sorry you're having issues with your new truck. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question

Thank you so much for being so nice. I figured I would get clowned for buying the thing without getting it checked out. I just didn't have anyone to ask, and my son fell in love with it. I knew better!

Can you give me an idea on how much replacing the oil pan gasket would be? (Just in case it isn't the rear seal).

Thank you again!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Probably about 5 hours. You still need to remove the starter and inspection cover off the trans. Parts aren't the issue, it's labor.

And I understand. I got burned on my last truck (ironically an 01 Dodge). Always get a shop or someone knowledgeable who isn't attached to the vehicle to check it out first.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Thank you so much for being so nice. I figured I would get clowned for buying the thing without getting it checked out. I just didn't have anyone to ask, and my son fell in love with it. I knew better!

Can you give me an idea on how much replacing the oil pan gasket would be? (Just in case it isn't the rear seal).

Thank you again!
We try to be friendly to everyone here and help out the best we can. I am sure the persuader will be of good help as I beleive he had a 1500 very similar to yours. But ya, no matter the question, feel free to ask and we will all try to help. We are all here to help eachother the best we can.

Edit: missed where he said he had an 01.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I can't really contribute to this, but I had to say... That truck is gorgeous.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
^^^ same here....nice truck you have and i hope everything works out. we all know the feeling of having something wrong at some point

·
Registered
29 Posts
We try to be friendly to everyone here and help out the best we can. I am sure the persuader will be of good help as I beleive he had a 1500 very similar to yours. But ya, no matter the question, feel free to ask and we will all try to help. We are all here to help eachother the best we can.

Edit: missed where he said he had an 01.
Yeah I can definitely say that this is one of the most friendly forums out there. I was one another dodge ram forum before and after I asked my first question i basically got "what kind of a question is that" as an answer. Im a newcomer too but so far it seems there are a lot of good people here.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Yeah I can definitely say that this is one of the most friendly forums out there. I was one another dodge ram forum before and after I asked my first question i basically got "what kind of a question is that" as an answer. Im a newcomer too but so far it seems there are a lot of good people here.
I think I know what forum you are talking about lol. We try to focus ourselves on the member more then just the truck alone, hint member of the month and not truck of the month. Doesnt always work out perfect, but everyone here tries to help out members where they can, and hopes for the same results back when asking a question.

I wish I could be of more assistance to the actual questions though. I have never actually owned a 2nd gen ram, we have a 12V cummins as a work truck, but it hasnt needed a repair in years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank y'all!

Thanks to all of you for being so nice. I appreciate it! You should hear it. It has special pipes. It is so loud. No telling how many repairs it needs, but he won't be driving it all over Texas....to school and back, and around town some. Can't afford the gas to do a lot of roaming, LOL.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks to all of you for being so nice. I appreciate it! You should hear it. It has special pipes. It is so loud. No telling how many repairs it needs, but he won't be driving it all over Texas....to school and back, and around town some. Can't afford the gas to do a lot of roaming, LOL.
Sounds like a good truck for your son and a learning experience. I'm not sure how mechanically inclined he is, but I would buy him a Haynes manual for the 94-01 Dodge Ram and have him read through it. They show step by step procedures on repairs.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We're here to help. :smileup:

·
Registered
989 Posts
It may take a couple bucks to fix her up but that truck is a beaut and your son will get another 100,000 miles outta her if he treats her nice. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Can someone tell me what it would cost to get a Rear Main Seal on a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie V8 4X4?

Also, can someone tell me how much just to replace the oil pan gasket?

Just ballpark, so when I go take it to the shop tomorrow, I won't get messed over because I am a woman.

I am so upset because I just bought this second hand, and it is losing oil like crazy. Yes, I am a woman, and I might have made a mistake buying it, but I do not have a knowledgeable man in my life to ask to check it out beforehand.
It seems like everything I do is the wrong decision.
Maybe try going back to the used car dealer that you bought it from and see if they will assist in the repair since it had to have been doing this before you bought it.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I have a hard time believing a shop would charge for 5 hours. It's a 2 1/2 hour job tops on the ground in a driveway.

Using a lift should cut the time considerably as well as using air tools.

If they attempt to charge you for over 3 hours start to finish I'd go somewhere else for the pan gasket.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a hard time believing a shop would charge for 5 hours. It's a 2 1/2 hour job tops on the ground in a driveway.

Using a lift should cut the time considerably as well as using air tools.

If they attempt to charge you for over 3 hours start to finish I'd go somewhere else for the pan gasket.
I'd be surprised if you can find a shop that'll do it for $250 (assuming $100 labor rate) + materials unless they decide to mark up the gaskets ridiculously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealership

Maybe try going back to the used car dealer that you bought it from and see if they will assist in the repair since it had to have been doing this before you bought it.
It was a "no warranty, as is", but I am looking at the paperwork, and it does say that it has "cold air", and it dam sure don't have cold air.

I do think I will give him a call after I get the mechanic to check it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't want to throw to much of a wrench into the situation but a lot of rear main and oil pan leaks are the result of excessive crankcase pressure. I've seen many rear mains replaced only to leak again (4.0 Jeep ) unless the root cause was repaired.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Hopefully this will be seen as words of encouragement.

The term "Cold Air" is probably not much to go on since it's up to interpretation. I just worked on a customer's vehicle. 2001 Mustang. She brought the car to me because she took it to NJ State inspection and it failed.

She brought the car to me as a referral and I told her I could help her out.

It failed for light bulbs and she advised me that she checked every light on the car before she bought it for her son...his first car.

Turns out the instrument cluster had been removed and the "Service Engine Soon" light as well as the "Air Bag" light and socket had been removed so they wouldn't cause any attention to a potential buyer.

Took a week to get it straightened out and service it to get it running properly and it turned out to be a very nice 1st car for her son.

That being said...I think you may have done nicely as the signs of wear and tear are visible and readily repairable. Not that someone deliberately mislead you with hidden problems. The oil pan gasket is a relatively simple repair and if you invest the money into a manual, your son should be able to do it with a basic tool kit. It would give him a sense of accomplishment, start a relationship with the vehicle and some respect for it. Meaning that mom won't always be there to have it fixed and it's okay to get a little dirty because he can still bring his laundry home (lol), It'd also teach him a lesson on self sufficiency.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
That truck looks almost exactly like the 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 that my friend had a couple years ago. I think it even has the same wheels. The 2nd gens are beautiful trucks.

We tend to keep things pretty polite here. Once in a while we will get a (usually new) member who gets a bit unfriendly, but the mods do a good job of keeping things friendly. This forum exists so that we can get help and give help, and deriding people's questions simply isn't productive. Everyone has a different level of knowledge about their trucks, I was fairly knowledgeable about my truck when I joined almost a year ago, but now I know just about every specification for it other than the bias ratio for the limited slip differential. The fact that you came here to learn so that you don't get taken advantage of is commendable.

I definitely recommend getting a Haynes manual (any auto parts store has them) for your son like The Persuader said, especially on a vehicle of that vintage. There is a lot of maintenance that is simple to do for yourself on those trucks as long as you have the knowledge, which the Haynes manual has; and it will save you a lot of money on labor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't beat yourself up we all have bought a car\truck and been blinded by looks instead of inspectING IT first , my wife says I go blind to a car when it comes to a nice lift and tires. Your next Iinvestment should be a decent set of tools for your son and a repair manual as others have mentioned. It'll save a ton in the long run and keep him busy as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts