DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well its going to have to, because Thuderhorse went to the farrier this morning to get new shoes put on!!!

I'm sure a lot of you have seen my posts talking about how I've been wanting to get these since they came out. I tried ordering a set from Discount Tire Direct on Cyber Monday but got a call a couple days later saying they were out of stock. Fast forward to December when I was at the tire shop getting my Bilstein 4600s installed, and the shop said they could get them in for me and quoted me a price. Unfortunately at that point I had spent too much on Christmas gifts to get them. I called the shop a couple weeks later and got an appointment set up for Monday, called on Monday and was told their delivery truck hadn't come and my tires would get there Tuesday :3-angry1: so I had to reschedule for this morning. The good news is that they're finally on, and they took off $10/tire for the inconvenience of having to reschedule.

I went with the LT275/60/20s, which are the stock size. They are load range D, which was a selling point for me because I wanted tougher tires than the 4 ply stock ones, and these are the first LT tire in 275/60/20 to my knowledge. I have always liked the tread pattern of the original KOs, but didn't want to change sizes (like to 275/65/20) because I didn't want my gauges or shift points to be off and I like keeping my truck stock dimensionally (e.g. I went with Bilstein 4600s instead of 5100s) while upgrading to better quality components.

Here are my observations so far:

-Noise: These are only slightly, if at all, louder than the SR-As that came on the truck. The noise they make seems to be at a lower pitch, but really isn't noticeable with the radio on.

-Ride: it neither feels nor sounds like I'm driving on pineapples, so that's nice. It definitely rides "truckier" now, but I wouldn't say harsh. Handling is much improved as there is significantly less body roll than there used to be when turning. Thunderhorse handles like a completely different animal now compared to when I first bought her, due to the addition of Bilstein 4600s and now the BFGs. It almost feels like no body roll compared to stock.

-MPGs: Obviously I haven't really driven far with the new tires, but I filled up the tank on the way home so that I can start tracking my mileage at each fill up with the new tires. Based on the current MPG EVIC screen I expect to see a 1 MPG drop, but I'd be surprised if it was 2MPG or greater. I think mileage in the city would be affected more than highway because of all the starts and stops; the BFGs are 13lbs heavier per tire than the Goodyears were. It seems to hold V8 mode longer before MDS comes on than it used to but that is about the only difference.

-Power: Seems unaffected. I know they are stock size so a power loss shouldn't really be expected, but since they are 13lbs heavier there is an increase in unsprung weight and rotational mass which could cause a loss of power. Regardless, even my 3.21s have no trouble turning them (as bubba breathes a sigh of relief):LOL:

It goes without saying that they look sick too:smiley_thumbs_up:

Also got complimented on my seat covers by the tech who drove it into the bay and mounted the tires:smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up:

That's about all I can think of, if y'all have any questions let me know.

Also, the SR-As have plenty of tread, and I didn't want to just throw them away, so they are for sale here in the classifieds: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=191981

And lastly, what would this thread be without pics?

Before:

After:

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before (ignore the bumper, its been fixed):

After:

And some more:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for taking the time. I'm in that market too.
Good to hear on the body roll since mine feels like I'm in a boat rolling into and out of roundabouts.

Nice looking Lab too.

FWIW on my last truck with 2 KO installs: the MPGs dropped 2MPG for the first few thousand miles and then returned after the tires got broken in.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Interested to see how long these tires hold up. I know they are LT's on a truck that gets P rated tires from the factory but still.

Looking forward to hearing good things.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking Lab too.

FWIW on my last truck with 2 KO installs: the MPGs dropped 2MPG for the first few thousand miles and then returned after the tires got broken in.
Thanks! My little man is a mutt we rescued so we aren't quite sure exactly what he is but we are pretty sure he is a boxer/lab mix.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'll be sure to keep you updated on the mileage and characteristics as time goes on. I'm probably going off roading with a buddy who lives out in the country next weekend so I'll report on that too.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
IMHO, you'll notice a definite improvement in off-road traction. I can't speak from experience with new KO's, but the old ones were a lot of fun!!

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great man! nice and aggressive stance.
Thanks!

Kind of funny that you mention that, its stock height. The only suspension od I've done were Bilstein 4600s which don't affect ride height or level the truck at all, they just firm up the ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ahhhh. Every time I read a thread about these KO2's, I feel my wallet taking a hit soon!

Truck looks phenomenal with the KO2's.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got them out today guys, went wheelin' out in the game lands and went down some of the logging roads. It rained last night so it was nice and sloppy and some of the holes were pretty deep (sank to the top of my license plate at one point); one managed to pull off my air dam. I noticed a dragging sound and got out and it was caught on a frame member. NBD, just need some plastic fasteners to put it back on. I kind of like the look with it off actually.

These tires are incredible, they aren't mud tires but they clean themselves very well. I only felt the back end start to float around a couple of times, and all it took was a bit more gas-maybe 500 RPMs-to hook up again. Not bad for a stock height truck, I definitely don't feel any need to level or lift it. I was very impressed with them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just curious what everyone is paying throughout the country on these?

My 2 uncles own tire shops and I was told $1100 for all 4 (That's for everything out the door).

This is my first 1/2 ton truck and I might be towing a TT in the very near future, I would assume the LT tire will be a much better choice over the P tires...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
looks like a a great day, and lots of fun Thunderhorse.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I replaced my 275/65/20 Cooper ST Maxx with stock KO2. The coopers were a good tire, just too stiff and heavy for me.

The BFGs ride a lot better on the rode and feel more connected to the pavement and being an 8 ply tire, still feel a lot more confident taking them off-road or towing than the stock Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

My 2 uncles own tire shops and I was told $1100 for all 4 (That's for everything out the door).

This is my first 1/2 ton truck and I might be towing a TT in the very near future, I would assume the LT tire will be a much better choice over the P tires...
Thats a crazy cheap price for those tires....iv'e looked and they are easily about 1500 to 1600 where i'm at...for the 285/65 20's

·
Read Only
377 Posts
My local tire shop does not do a large BFG volume so they said they couldn't beat the price I was quoted online (Discount Tire). They also said due to the backorder of certain sizes they would have to wait until the national chains got caught up before BFG would ship to the smaller dealers. They were more than happy to mount tires that I bought elsewhere.
I paid 220 each for the tires only, delivered free. The local shop charged me 125.00 to mount them to aftermarket wheels, balance them and remove TPMS from my stock wheels and put them into the aftermarket wheels. So that put me right at the 1000.00 mark. Obviously it depends on the size. I went with 275/70/17 E load rated.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Jump on it, that's a great price

·
Registered
82 Posts
I paid $1150 OTD including the tire warranty and after they gave me $200 to trade in my SRAs. That was for the stock size.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I paid $1400 installed after taxes here (14%) (Canadian), so that works out to be about $150.00 US :)

285/65/R18

Kidding... I think teh exchange is close to 20% right now so $1140~?

For you guys in Washington you could try coming to BC, Canada to buy tires if you can get a good quote from a store up here. Might be worth the trip since you have so much more buying power here right now.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts