DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a truck guy.. but I purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (brand new in 2014) to pull my boat that weighed around 7,000lbs. Well, I only kept that boat for a season and towed it once. I have since purchased a boat that will weigh closer to 11,000lbs with fuel, gear, trailer...

Is there a way for me to safely increase the towing capacity of my current vehicle? If so, how? I live on Long Island, NY. Any recommendations of places that can make this happen... Any general idea of cost?

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,717 Posts
What gearing and suspension, I think most are going to refer you to a 2500 when using the term "safely" and over factory towing specs of a 1500.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
No matter what, your GVWR will never change. Legally, you can only tow up to that number.

I have towed 8500lbs of trailer behind my half ton. It did it just fine.

I have also towed 14,000lbs behind it. It did it...but it didn't like it. Stopping was dicey as hell, even with trailer brakes, the trailer pushed me to a stop on more than one occasion. Luckily I have years of experience towing heavy loads and I know how to do it. Keep in mind I have Total Load Control 5000lb air bags to keep heavy loads level. Now, I have beefier brakes (at the time they were stock), beefier E-rated tires (at the time they were the badyears O_O ), the airbags, and a few performance mods that make towing heavy easier...but I still will never tow 10,000lbs of gravel in a 4,000lb trailer again. Ever.

That said, there are things you can do to make it safer to haul heavy, but ultimately you will still not be legal. Think of it like this:

If your boat weighs 11k, and your truck weighs 6k, you are at 17,000lbs total rig weight. That is in the capacity range of the 1-ton trucks. Bottom line, you need a bigger truck, not mods. Will it pull it? sure. Will it pull it up the boat ramp? probably, but you will eventually destroy your transmission/rear end. All that aside, if you get in a wreck while loaded that heavy, you will face stiff fines. If anyone gets hurt, you will face charges and possibly lawsuits. Trucks are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
You can not raise the hauling or towing weight limits of any vehicle

To increase those capacities would take a larger frame, stronger springs, bigger braking surface on the pads

Have you looked at a Tow Chart for your particular truck ?

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/
the chart is for the 2017 models, but it will be the same for yours

Just fill in the form
mostly you have to choose a cab type & differential ratio & of course engine

Ram 1500 LARAMIE
3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel
quad cab | 6'4" | auto | 4x2 | 3.92 differential
8,870lbs Max Tow

same Ram as above with 3.55 differential
7,870lbs Max Tow

================================================================
Your boat trailer should have the weight on the tongue & your boat dealer should have the weight of the boat

If you can't get those weights:

Look in your Local phone book for Certified Truck Scales or Public Weigh Station
call them to check to see if you can pull your Ram & boat onto the scales & get a uncertified weight, you don't need Official Paperwork, they charge $$$ for official paperwork

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You are not going to tow 11,000 lbs safely with a half ton pickup. Ram, Silverado, Tundra, F-150-doesn't matter; that traielr is too heavy for a truck that light and its too easy for the tail to wag the dog at that point. Now I'd be lying if I said I hadn't ever overloaded mine before, but no way would I pull 11,000 lbs more than a couple miles at low speeds.

As a general rule if you plan to tow more than about 8,000 lbs with any regularity you need a 3/4 ton or larger truck. FWIW I do not speak from a legality standpoint as I feel that that is largely fear mongering; I am talking about what your truck is capable of and what can do and still last.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone.. Great information... It looks like I'll be buying a newer truck and focus on a smaller boat... I appreciate the replies. Towing/trailering is something that I don't normally do.. Everyone's information was great..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts