DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the deal. I recently bought 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 it had factory installed hitch, 7 pin harness and 4 pin. Dealer said he would install for me the intergrated brake controller. Now the problem is the service department said they cant install the oem brake controller the same one that is fitted and comes from the factory because my truck doesnt have the two connectors that are prewired and taped up. My truck only came with one connector so they are telling me I have to get an after market controller with a single connector and it would be screwed to the plastic. Parts guy said he has seen this before and there is no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes the truck just comes with one connector. This is crap!!! Help!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn, with the same receiver,7 & 4 pin harness. Mine also didn't come with a brake controller, I also ordered one thru my dealer, also to be installed by them. When I went to pick up my Ram, I got the same story, 1 plug, but not 2. They showed me a factory tech bulletin, explaining the problem. It sounded like a common problem.
Has anyone wired up an aftermarket controller on a 2012? Was it complicated? Which one did you use?

·
Registered
50 Posts
They do some weird things from the factory don't they. My 2012 came with the factory brake controller and tow package but no hitch. Crazy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed an aftermarket controller on my 2012 ram. the controller I used is called a prodigy. I found the plug under the dash to the right side of the steering column. took out an existing screw at the bottom of the dash. installed the bracket works perfect. the plug under the dash is gray and square with 2 corners cut at 45 degrees. Good luck.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you have EVIC, the factory controller is pretty cool. Still, a quality aftermarket will probably be less expensive, and some of them offer all kinds of bells and whistles. I don't have EVIC in my Express, so I got a Tekonsha P3 with a wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness for about $125. This controller has all kinds of doodads and works in any position. I've been using it in a temporary position, as I'm going to mount it in the existing hole for the factory controller. It snaps in and out of a press-in plug so you can stow it somewhere else if you want, but I'm looking forward to installing it cleanly in the OEM hole and just leaving it there.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a used tekonsha P-3 from my old truck that I would sell at a reduced price. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I nenegotiated the brake controller as part of the deal when I bought the truck with the assumption it would be the intergrated controller. Now they gave me an aftermarket controller mounted near my left knee. It's a nice controller and works fine but I just dont want it mounted where it is. I want it built in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you can add the other harness...The missing harness is the power harness only and only needs a positive, negative, and a can bus connection if you want it to show up on the evic. If you look at the factory controller power plug it has four terminals. Only three are used. Search on here there is a thread on how to do it. The correct harness for the plug can be bought on ebay, or from dodge with the correct part number...

·
Registered
148 Posts
you can add the other harness...The missing harness is the power harness only and only needs a positive, negative, and a can bus connection if you want it to show up on the evic. If you look at the factory controller power plug it has four terminals. Only three are used. Search on here there is a thread on how to do it. The correct harness for the plug can be bought on ebay, or from dodge with the correct part number...
Actually, it's Canbus +, Canbus -, and a 12V Accessory wire. And Dodge does not sell that harness.

·
Registered
84 Posts
your not buying the harness, just the replacement connector end...and its a easy install by adding three wires, its been done numerous times..The terminal diagram is on here if you search, and you dont even need the connector if you solder wires to the terminals or use small connectors. Still just a power plug, the main wiring is in the gray plug that all the trucks have...Looks like a dodge connector to me, propably the same one used for something else?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270755017120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2012 with factory tow pkg. But it didnt have brake control. I bought the factory 1 on ebay for 170 bucks and it literly took 10 mins to install. All factory wiring was taped up on colum. Plug n play. then I took it to the dealer to have them flash it so it would show up in the EVIC witch the dealer did while i waited for free but this step is not necessary and the controller will work fine w/o the flash. My buddy has the same truck and did the same thing i did a week later and no problems.
I guess the factory changes things all the time

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This is good info since I plan to install the brake control on my 2012 Express at some point in near future. I will check for the wiring in the proper config. then make my decision from there. Sweet. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Factory brake controller was part of the deal. When I went to put it in, only one connector was present. I took it back to the dealer and service guy said no rhyme or reason to which have one or both connectors. Regardless I insisted it was part of the deal and written on the sales agreement. Service mgr showed me the entire new harness ($750) that had to be ordered and installed. Works perfectly now. They told me splicing was not an option for warranty reasons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2012 Express. 1 plug, not 2. I've had a couple of guys tell me they wouldn't put the after market brake control because of issues with EVIC and the brakes locking up. Has anyone had that problem? Really stinks that I can't tow my brand new camper!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2012 Express. 1 plug, not 2. I've had a couple of guys tell me they wouldn't put the after market brake control because of issues with EVIC and the brakes locking up. Has anyone had that problem? Really stinks that I can't tow my brand new camper!

same deal on my truck,, dealer ended up installing an aftermarket controller, Towed our travel trailer about 400kms so far with no problems what so ever, wish my dealer had installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller instead of the Voyaguer ...

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
After reading all these posts, this is so case by case. What is dodge doing? I just bought my new Express with no intention of ever doing any towing. Did not even order a hitch. When ordering,( March 24th) my salesman said that dodge mandated the trailer brake control group with the order. (Express 4x4-5.7 hemi-regular cab). It was $300. I believe this was true as he showed me on his computer as we were going through my order. Now that I have my truck I am glad I have the package because it included the EVIC and the extra gauges, but I don't need the trailer brake control. Go figure.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Where is the wiring diagram for 2012 RAM, specifically canbus and power connections
There's a post here started by Netman66 that covers just about every possible scenario using the factory controller, even on trucks that only have the one pig tail connector.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2012 with factory tow pkg. But it didnt have brake control. I bought the factory 1 on ebay for 170 bucks and it literly took 10 mins to install. All factory wiring was taped up on colum. Plug n play. then I took it to the dealer to have them flash it so it would show up in the EVIC witch the dealer did while i waited for free but this step is not necessary and the controller will work fine w/o the flash. My buddy has the same truck and did the same thing i did a week later and no problems.
I guess the factory changes things all the time
I am looking to install the factory brake controller also and I do have both plugs under my dash. I already reveiwed the install instructions. Did you disconnect the negative battery cable like it states to do in the install directions prior to plugging the unit in? And if so what did that do to your truck, ie. did you loose all your presets on the radio, or any downloaded music or were there any other effects from doing that? And from the time you installed the unit to the time you got to the dealer to get flashed, did you get and messages on your evic?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts