DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever driven in the park?
Trails to see and avoid - not an expert 4WD offroader.

2016 1500 CC with 5.7 bed Outdoorsman 4X4 with General Grabber HTS 60 new tires and no lift - is the truck.

SO taking into consideration, that I don't want to damage the truck, am not an expert offroader, and the long wheelbase and overall size of the truck.

What trails would you recommend and which would be no go.

I really would hate to start on one only to get to a section that is going to be stupid difficult and have no way to turn around.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
There's a loop around the southern part of the park that a full sized truck like yours could manage OK, but the right move is to contact the park HQ and talk to them, since conditions can vary dramatically from year to year, or even week to week. Permits are required for a lot of areas, and the rangers really do need to know who's in there and who has, or who has not, returned safely.
Weather makes a difference too. Roads that are passable when dry can be impassable when wet.

For people with a full sized truck with no special mods and that they don't want to ding up, and who don't have technical experience with 4wd offroading, most of the "jeep trails" in Canyonlands are a no-go.

It's a fabulous park, with some of the most incredible scenery found anywhere on the planet. But it's rugged country too, so you need to be prepared with adequate supplies and emergency provisions.
Do some research online by all means, but talk to the Park HQ before you go anywhere, and get from good maps and up-to-date info (by which I mean that day's info) on road conditions in real time. And follow their suggestions carefully. They know that territory better than anyone.
You totally do not want to get stuck way out there and have to be extracted. That nightmare would cost almost as much as buying another truck.

I've driven my old Toyota truck in that park quite a bit some years ago, and no small number of trails were way too technical for my taste, and that old modified and winch-equipped beast has handled some pretty gnarly stuff over the years and I didn't care one bit about dinging it up.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback!

Wet, I would really limit where I would even think of trying. Without having off road tires, I would think that the mud and slick rocks could make for an unpleasant day.

We are still deciding on which park to even go to.

I was watching some of the videos on youtube to try to get a rough idea of what the trails were like.

We only have a week, so I am thinking on just visiting one of the parks instead of doing a flyby on several of them.

Recommendations?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts