DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck starts pretty good, idles fine but when i give it hard gas (at idle) itll backfire through the carb or if i slowly give it gas till 4500-5000 rpm and let off the gas quickly itll try to die. Doesnt seem to really be a problem because i just give it more gas. I was thinking accl pump? Suggestions? Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
It sounds like it could easily be the accl pump.

IMO thought vacuum leak could do it, carb base gasket, or vacuum advance (throwing the timing off just a touch).

·
8,070 Posts
If it has a vacuum leak it could be leaning out.... But it could also be the accelerator pumps or float bowl level. I'd start with look for leaks and putting some new gaskets on. The see what happens. If it still bogs start fixing the carb up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, i think it has a 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacer/gasket on it. Iv read online puting a 1'' spacers helps alot. Yea?

·
8,070 Posts
Sounds good, i think it has a 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacer/gasket on it. Iv read online puting a 1'' spacers helps alot. Yea?
Ya a 1" spacer would probably help you out. It gives the air and gas more room to mix properly and reduces quenching in the intake.

But ya, if there is a spacer on it definitely check/replace all the gaskets.

btw the plugs looked pretty black when i took em out. But it seems to run lean. Idk
If the plugs are old it hard to get a good reading off them. The best thing to do is put new plugs in it, go to a side road and put your foot to the floor for an approximate 1/4 mile run, pull to the side if the road right after and pull the plug to see how it looks. If it's black you're running to rich, if it's perfectly clean you're too lean. There should be a nice tan brown colour too it and a visible burn line. That's how you know you have the right mixture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts