DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in every guy's favorite store - harbor freight - and came across a roller tarp thingy...basicky it mounts somehow on the tailgate using straps and you unroll the plastic "tarp" into the bed of the truck...you loadt he truck with whatever andt hen you can roll the tarp using the handle on the taligate part to drag the load to the tailgate.

I have seen this on TV too.

Wondering if anyone here uses one with a 2012-up Ram....seems like our tailgates are pretty think and may not work?

But if it DOES work --- any damage or scratches to the tailgate?

And is this think robust enough to drag a load of driveway gravel?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just exactly HOW do you plan to LOAD that gravel without scratching your bed/tailgate?
The HF roller-unloader will not prevent your truck bed/tailgate from becoming paint damaged.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bed/tailgate has the spray in liner on it so I think that would be not so much an issue (since the gravel would also be on the material the roller uses)......It would be no different than loading gravel into the bed of the truck without the roller. And trucks ARE made to carry loads like gravel. I still use my 92 Dakota for rock, mulch, gravel, etc., but it has a plastic drop in liner.....

I was more wondering if the unit itself would scratch the paint on the OUTSIDE of the tailgate.....

Doesn't appear that anyone here uses one.......

·
Registered
883 Posts
There are quite a few videos on YouTube, just search for Loadhandler, you might find one where a Dodge/Ram is being used.

I looked at one of these and I am not convinced on the quality of the material, especially with the type of box liner our Rams have, too much friction. I do imagine that if one was to lay out a PVC tarp first then the "loadhandler" would glide that much better over the tarp itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too thought about buying the HF load handler but tried first using an $8.00 tarp lining my bed. Had bulk mulch put into the bed for hauling to the house for use in our garden. We just pulled the tarp out from the bed and it all just came out fine. Glad I saved my $$ for my next mod. Nice idea but there are other ways to make it work IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one of the HF unloader thingys. It works fine, but I had to cut spacers out of a 2x4 to put between the top edge of the tailgate and the mounting bracket of the unloader. The tailgate is too thick for the mounting bracket to slide all the way onto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in every guy's favorite store - harbor freight - and came across a roller tarp thingy...basicky it mounts somehow on the tailgate using straps and you unroll the plastic "tarp" into the bed of the truck...you loadt he truck with whatever andt hen you can roll the tarp using the handle on the taligate part to drag the load to the tailgate.

I have seen this on TV too.

Wondering if anyone here uses one with a 2012-up Ram....seems like our tailgates are pretty think and may not work?

But if it DOES work --- any damage or scratches to the tailgate?

And is this think robust enough to drag a load of driveway gravel?

Thanks all!
I have purchased this
I have one of the HF unloader thingys. It works fine, but I had to cut spacers out of a 2x4 to put between the top edge of the tailgate and the mounting bracket of the unloader. The tailgate is too thick for the mounting bracket to slide all the way onto.
I have a 2014 Ram 3500, which has a tailgate that curves, and I did purchase the Harbor Freight Unloader. Unfortunately, it did not fit very well due to the exterior curve of the tailgate, but I managed to put it all together as the directions indicated.

When I was done unloading and removed the unloader from my tailgate. Everything was fine until I closed the tailgate and saw where the unloader was clamped it had left dimples in the painted curved area where the “clamp” was placed.

The unloader works great in older vehicles with a straight tailgate it can clamp onto for unloading. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY TAILGATE THAT IS CURVED such as the newly designed tailgate Rams now possesses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts