DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have about decided to get a Carven exhaust for the 2015 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and dual exhaust. I already plastidipped the factory exhaust tips and used the glossify coat over it also, so we will see how long that holds up.

My dilemma is whether to go with the Progressive or the Competitor??? I would get the Comp., but am just afraid it will be over the top to loud for me. What say you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I have about decided to get a Carven exhaust for the 2015 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and dual exhaust. I already plastidipped the factory exhaust tips and used the glossify coat over it also, so we will see how long that holds up.

My dilemma is whether to go with the Progressive or the Competitor??? I would get the Comp., but am just afraid it will be over the top to loud for me. What say you?
I'm in the same boat sorta. I have yet to see where anyone on Youtube or here has posted a video of the in-cab sound at highway speeds.

I love the way the progressive sounds in videos, but I'm concerned about the drone at 65-70MPH. If it is too loud in the cab, I really may have to choose another option.

Sorry to not help OP, but maybe if this thread gets enough traction those that have the Carven exhaust's will see it and post some videos.

·
Registered
179 Posts
at 65/70 cruising with cruise control on... no drone BUT the second you step on the gas even slightly you hear it roar. I never was a fan of listening on youtube as i felt you cant get a real feel for the sound really. My friend local to me had the competitor and I loved it so I bought it. Two weeks on it. Is it loud? YES... is it too loud?... that is subjective I think, very subjective. have the neighbors came to me and said its like an alarm clock to them... yes. I am in long island new york and there is maybe 30/40 feet between houses. I hope to be of help but I feel like the best way is to find someone local and see if they are willing to let you in for a ride along to hear it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the progressive installed in my Ram. I will try to remember to get a video tomorrow on the way to work. I will only be from the phone though.

I had the Borla S-type on my last truck and the progressive kit is louder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progressive

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Progressive exhaust! So, we will see how loud it is. I just felt the Competitor might piss off the neighbors and be too much for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Progressive exhaust! So, we will see how loud it is. I just felt the Competitor might piss off the neighbors and be too much for me.
I was worried about neighbors too but then I said it's not my neighbors car. It took me weeks to come to that decision and went with the competitor.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sound clips aren't that great due to rain noise on the windshield and actually having a hard time getting the MDS to stay on for any legnth of time because of [email protected]$$/ drivers being afraid of the rain.:LOL:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Darn videos didn't embed. I will work on it

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Another interior clip in the highway from 60mph to 75mph.

Where I said 112mph, I meant 72mph. Also when I mentioned MDS, it was actually shutting off, not turning on.

https://youtu.be/9-WLiau8j9w

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nevermind the exhuast for now... the dang plastidip lasted until the first car wash and then started to peel off. Dont know if i should take them off now and just peel them both and repaint with high heat paint or just wait until i have the extra money for tips. I really thought the plastidip would hold up better. I did not even put the wand that close to tips, but the inside of the tip is where if peeled off. It was hard to get a good coating in the interior of the tip, so maybe thats why...????

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nevermind the exhuast for now... the dang plastidip lasted until the first car wash and then started to peel off. Dont know if i should take them off now and just peel them both and repaint with high heat paint or just wait until i have the extra money for tips. I really thought the plastidip would hold up better. I did not even put the wand that close to tips, but the inside of the tip is where if peeled off. It was hard to get a good coating in the interior of the tip, so maybe thats why...????
Plastidip doesn't hold up that great to the exhaust heat. High temp barbque paint might be better but the tips should be prepped (sanded). Some guys have gone with a powder coat but ceramic coated is the best option for exhaust tips.
There are many manufactures selling black tips now and the price is dropping. It was gonna cost me $150 to have my OEM tips ceramic coated but it only cost $180 for a set of black tips from Carven.

·
Registered
51 Posts
@chilliin

Thanks for the video bud. I think you just made it easier for me to pull the trigger on them. Do you still have your resonators in place?

·
Registered
936 Posts
@chilliin

Thanks for the video bud. I think you just made it easier for me to pull the trigger on them. Do you still have your resonators in place?
Yes. Stock exhaust except for muffler and 5" black ceramic tips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VHT high temp paint

Plastidip doesn't hold up that great to the exhaust heat. High temp barbque paint might be better but the tips should be prepped (sanded). Some guys have gone with a powder coat but ceramic coated is the best option for exhaust tips.
There are many manufactures selling black tips now and the price is dropping. It was gonna cost me $150 to have my OEM tips ceramic coated but it only cost $180 for a set of black tips from Carven.
Well,
I peeled off the plastidip and sanded them down again real good, then degreased them, then rubbed down with alcohol to get all the oil off. I got some VHT Flameproof (i think its called) very high temp ceramic header paint at auto zone and painted the tips again today. This is the highest temp. stuff they had, so it should work. The can said to let the truck idle for a little bit then cool down, then idle a little longer then cool down again, then normal drive for 30 min. then cool down again to final cure the paint. So, i did all that and got the CARVEN PROGRESSIVE exhaust mounted up today and it sounds just perfect for tastes. Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I technically have the comp muffler got it welded in instead. When cruising it is not really loud at all. When you get on it it screams though. I kept my resonators though. That might help. I have had a Flowmaster 10 before and the carven is not as loud.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Anyone get the progressive and regret not getting the competitor?
No regrets. The progressive kit is louder than the Borla s-type that was on my Silverado and the Banks Monster that was on my F250. For my personal tastes the progressive is perfect. It is a lot louder than the Magnaflow 18 that a buddy has and I am told by another friend that it is louder than the Magnaflow 14 on his Ram.:smileup:

The Carven TR that is in the progressive is about 11" long.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am new the forums, but came here to research. First thing I wanted to do was exhaust and I definitely think after reading this I think the Progressive is going to be perfect.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts