DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed an increase in mileage when installing the Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhuast? :thk:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By your silence does this mean most of you are seeing decreased fuel economy with a cat-back Magnaflow exhaust or no noticable increase?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am curious as well. I am thinking about doing the exhaust for my next MOD. I like the MagnaFlow exhaust system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i don't have the magnaflow cat-back system, i have the mufflex 14. I noticed a throttle difference right away just with the muffler swap. My gas mileage decreased in the beginning because i was addicted to the noise that was coming out the pipes. Currently with the mufflex 14 and airaid CAI i am getting 12.9 mpg in the city.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The MPG increase will be so negligent, it will literally take YEARS to repay the cost of the kit....if that is your sole purpose for purchasing it.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
There should be basically no mpg change. It's a very small difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just added the "Y" pipe and 18" Muffler and notice a difference in performance and city mileage being better! Have not driven on the highway a lot yet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really expect an increase in MPG but that was the justification I was useing with my wife for spending another wad of cash on the truck. I was hoping you guys would have my back. Thanks a lot. LOL. I'm going to get the exhaust anyway...I think.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got the Magnaflow because when I started the truck, I wanted to hear a real exhaust. Don't fool yourself with the mpg increase. A small increase in your hp, but negligent gains in mpg.

·
Registered
256 Posts
U lose MPG with any exhaust mod as the right foot and ears trick you into playin the sound...................

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow you guys really don't want to help a brother out do you? LOL. Help me out, let's hear some positive feedback so I can swing my wife over to the dark side.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
LOL what are you going to print out only the positive posts? :)

Exhaust is a good idea, will give you slightly more power and torque, and even slightlier more mpg. Assuming you drive with the same habits.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't really expect an increase in MPG but that was the justification I was useing with my wife for spending another wad of cash on the truck. I was hoping you guys would have my back. Thanks a lot. LOL. I'm going to get the exhaust anyway...I think.

:LOL: Tell your wife that the duel exhaust with less restriction allows the exhaust to act as a jet exhaust pushing the truck forward... :LOL: I wish I could BS my wife but her older brother is a mechanic and her Dad was a shade tree mechanic.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The family is taking another trip to Gulf Shores the first week of June, we're taking my truck.

I plan on babying the throttle going there to see just what long distance peak I can achieve. We went last year in sweltering hot 100+ degree weather and I "think" I recall the readout showing 17.8mpg. Me driving, my parents, and luggage so there's extra weight. But I've hit 19.2mpg after resetting the readout driving 65mpg with cruise. That IS a real before and after.

The last trip did not have the K&N CAI or the exhaust. If Mufflex gets the Y Pipe compatibility for the 4th Gens I will have it welded on too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Magnaflow 22 inch 12590 and I see really no difference in mpg, but you can feel the power difference right off the back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ONLY real reason to change a cat back is SOUND, LOOKS. Nothing else so get over it......................

The MASTER of Cat Backs

·
Registered
220 Posts
One thing to note is that a small hp increase + a little bit of response - 0 mpg loss is worth it in my mind as an mpg booster. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts