DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the forum is seems like a catch can is cheap engine protection. I see some with an air filter on top. Is this better, not necessary but ok, or bad. I am new to this stuff. Others have posted that the "better" ones have an internal baffle, but I can't find any mention of the filter on top. Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Don't know that I have an answer but found this in a write up on catch cans on ebay - course I have no idea how authoritative the writer is...

Breather style Vs. Sealed
Not all cars have been designed the same. Weather high performance, daily driver, off road, motorcycle, or combination, there is a PROPER catch can to benefit your vehicle. How do you know what type is best? First you have to determine what the vehicle will mainly be used for.
Is your vehicle high performance? Do you race or drive it like you stole it? Then you would probably benefit more from a Breather Style. This style vents the blow-by gasses to the atmosphere while catching the sludge in its resivoir. It may not be legal to run this type in some states for emissions control purposes. Allowing the crankcase to vent freely will prevent unwanted drag on the internal engine components. This frees up the pressure being created and all the other benefits of the sludge being separated from the fuel. Honda, Nissan and the like are most common to use a breather style.
Is your vehicle a daily driver? Are you trying to get the best fuel mileage possible? Then a sealed type may be best for you. This type of catch tank allows your blow-by gasses to be re-burnt while separating the sludge. Some PCV type systems will require the metered air to re-enter the motor in order to run properly. This is from the way the vehicle was designed. Most high tech vehicles are this way. For example BMW, Volvo, and so on. This sealed type is best for passing emission tests and will not adversely affect the test outcome. It may also HELP the test outcome by filtering out the bad stuff and allowing your motor to burn the fuel more cleanly.

Here's the link to the entire article...
http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-the-RIGHT-catch-can-for-your-vehicle?ugid=10000000019384879

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
People will give different opinions on this. The difference is that without the breather crankcase vapors recirculate into the engine. With the breather the vapors exit to the atmosphere. Without the breather is more environmentally friendly. Also, it is my opinion that the breathers are not as good, and my reason for believing that is that because they are more restrictive. They can cause excess pressure buildup inside the engine that can lead to blown out/leaking seals and actually also power loss believe it or not. Some say this isn't true, but I believe it is. Also they make the engine bay dirty.

·
Registered
16 rebel hemi quad cab
1,289 Posts
I didnt know much about catch cans until reading this article so correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a breather be worse for off road as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts