DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering...are catch cans model/model year specific? Seems to me that they wouldn't be, that a catch can is just that, a catch can. Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also I have seen a lot of people using Billet Tech and Diablo Sport and I also saw on the Mopar site that they will have one available soon too. Are there any other options for catch cans? i was looking on Amazon and Ebay, and came up with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-BILLE...0&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e0e93b98#ht_10925wt_1014

The craftsmanship and quality seem to be there, just wanting some opinions and suggestions. Thanks
MK

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Usually the cheaper one's like you posted won't have the internal "baffle" like the more expensive ones have. Also, JMO, but the "sight tubes" look very tacky to me.

The BT one should fit no problem. There is also a Moroso one, Bully dog, etc...

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20014.htm

I bought mine during their black friday sale they have every year and saved a lot of money. I don't remember how much I think it was like 40% off or something...

I still haven't installed mine yet...but it will happen in the upcoming months if not sooner. I need to make a bracket as I have the 4.7L not the hemi.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't know what these were for til I read thru this. So I'm guessing you have to clean them out on occasion??

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^yes they need emptied every once in a while (maybe every oil change, or twice an oil change...etc.)

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
That reminds me, i need to empty out my BT catch can
it has been about 8,000 miles, since i last did it

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Here's mine by Billet Technology.. and it needs emptying surprisingly often... Its 1/2 to 3/4 full every 1500kms..

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got mine yesterday from speedlogix down the street from me, great guys there. but decided to use one for a charger, only difference is the mounting bracket, the location for the ram is a pain to get to especially with it lifted. Im going to install it near the air box to make life easier. They really do work tho, have one on an srt8 charger and after running hard for a month its 1/4full.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been looking into installing one on my machine. Great concept.

Obbie, while checking out the options and looking at a pile of posts I noticed that the catch can you pointed to in the initial post will work, but it's backward. You will not be able to view the side glass as it will be pointing towards the back.

I also noticed that the cheap/inexpensive ones have a drain plug and all seams are welded. Sorry Obbie...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-BILLE...0&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e0e93b98#ht_10925wt_1014

While the higher quality has a collection cup that screws off for easy emptying and the unit appears to be solid with no welding.

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20014.htm?1=1&CartID=1

I just ordered the quality one. I would like to install it before I put to many miles on it.

Mike....

·
Registered
340 Posts
An oil catch can catches what the crank case belches like oil and gas and blowby gasses and condensation and whatever instead of letting it get fed back into your intake to be burned again. And it does not burn as well on it's way back through. It also helps keep your air path clean instead of having an oily film on it.

Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do they make one for my 2012 2500 hemi? Sorry, just have never heard of a catch can. How long to install? Pretty simple? My truck only has 300 miles on it, so I would like to get one on there ASAP. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
340 Posts
Both the Diablo and the BT appear to be the same with different top inscription. I can not tell if the fittings are plastic or not on the Diablo.

I have 400 on mine. It's the same 5.7 as you have countryD. You install it and then every K or so you check the cup. Empty the crap and put it back on. Eventually you will know about how long you can go before you have to empty it. The nice thing about the BT/Diablo is the cup. Others have a plug so you have to pull the plug and drain into a cup you hold underneith. I went for the BT, Satin, with brass fittings and the regular piping.

Mike...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts