DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I set my truck on fire again. I somehow forgot that catalytic converters get stupid hot in normal use and when you are trying to do a break in and the fuel ratio is showing 12.2-13.4 basically the whole time the cats essentially become external combustion engines. I now have a totally melted evap vent tube, ruined undercab paint (the same paint that was perfectly gloss black), significant damage to the fiberglass insulation (that's gonna take 4 hours to swap a new one in) and general mayhem and discoloration. Oh and a nervous complex since the fuel return line was close by, thank god for AN lines or I would have had a flamethrower of 93 octane.

What is my point in all this? Well if you are gonna alter the exhaust path remember to actually think for a minute and create heat reflectors and shields around any and all cats you install/added or whatever. The things glow with any sort of load and doubly so if the mix is rich. Now I have to go back and replace the whole freaking evap system and clean and at least refresh the paint in areas that were effected before creating reflectors for the drivers half of the vehicle.

This dang thing just won't allow anything to go easy. This morning it also decided to blow its internal fuel line in half when I first went to start it, somehow. I never thought I would actually see a fuel line burst but I guess it could gave picked a worse time.......like if the bed was already back on it. No joke I'm going to have the body shop install an easy access panel for the tank since I now have a fear of the line breaking again. Props to aeromotvie though, even with a blown line the dang pump moves to much fuel I was still seeing 7 psi at the reg, that's some stupid flow.

Oh yeah. Everything is working and the engine finally is happy and has no problems, break in actually went better than expected. Just a little fire.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
WHEW
I read the title & this came to mind

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta love what we call "self induced CASREPs" bwahahahahaha
Well yeah lol, I got impatient to start it and in my haste I forgot the cats would generate far more heat than the old catless setup and thus need more shielding. My mistake but it's relatively minor all things considered and specially considering the other things that have gone wrong in this project. (******* oil pump)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Damn, that sucks to hear you had another setback.

Still rooting for your build!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, that sucks to hear you had another setback.

Still rooting for your build!
Oh it's moving under its own power now and the driveline is 100%, it's just stupid little stuff like this now that I have to iron out. I'm at the end phase and it's the little touches that need done, having a custom radiator built since even with the new pump/tstat I'm having heat soak issues (stays at 190-200) at a standstill when holding 1200-3800 rpm and it crept up over about 40 min to that instead of stopping at 180. New unit should have 3 times the capacity so I won't have issues anymore.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. You're in the home stretch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts