DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Big Horn QC with the buckets seats and center console with shifter. Has anyone here installed a CB/HAM radio in one of these? I am looking for mounting locations. I have a radio that has a removeable control head so it won't take up much space. I was thinking of doing some kind of mount in the tray under the radio stack. Any ideas/pictures?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
i have an RCI 10 & 11 band in my console

The radio has BIG heat sink & there is also an auxiliary fan blowing on the heat sink, I have a external speaker mounted at the back of my overhead console, under the cloth, you can't even see it

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it has a remote control head have you thought about putting it under the passanger seat?

I have a Crew Cab and I am considering mounting mine to the roof.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about mounting it under the seat. I like the install that are in the pictures but it is a ham radio and puts out 60 watts so I think it needs more ventalation. There is a small fan on the back of the radio.

Based on the pictures I take it there is nothing under the tray so there was enough room to mount the radio.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jim,

Once it warms up to above freezing, I'll be installing a Icom 706 MKIIG and a Yaesu 8800 into my '12 ST Club Cab. I'll be utilizing the removable face plates for both installations and right now, the radios and LDG AT-11 tuner will be under the front seats with control cables under the floor mat, etc...

I've already picked up a power distribution panel that will get mounted under the center seat with 8G wires run to the drivers battery. I'll have a 2m whip on a hood mount for the passenger side, a 6m whip on the drivers side and the HF will be mounted to the ladder rack (Outbacker stealth plus).

The jack assembly will be removed from under the passengers seat area to make room for the radio & auto tuner (I don't intend to use it anyway.)

I really wanted to replace the center console with a radio rack; but the S/O nixed that idea since it isn't an unbolt situation from the little I've looked around under the seats. Also, since I have a hand shaker; I can't mount it to the side of the floor hump console as it'll restrict access to the cup holders.

I have yet to determine where I'll be mounting the remote speakers. Most likely between the middle seat and shift lever in what area I can find.

Pictures will be produced once I have installed the gear.

Hope this helps you somewhat with your planning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tarded a 09 Siverado for my Ram. I had an Icom 706MkIIg in there. It was a lot easier because I had the bench seat with no console. I just built something. This time I am only going with a 2 meter radio. I forgot all about the jack under the passenger seat. The radio is a Yaesu 7800 so the body is pretty small. Might be able to make it work without messing with the jack. This is my project for the weekend. Unusually high temps here in Minnesota for this time of year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We are having too warm temps right now in my neck of the woods too; roads are too slick because of it. However, we are still under 32*; so I'll wait until it gets above that before I start wrenching too hard on the moldings, etc... Its just a waiting game now.

I've yet to really utilize the 706; I got it specifically for this truck and so I can keep the DX-70TH in the house.

The 7800 is a good rig; I've used a couple of them for emcomm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I mounted a Yaesu FT-7900 under the power drivers seat on my 2010 with center console. The control head is hung from an unused "hole" on the left side of the vertical console. Removing the rubber pad gives you two holes, just used some brass rod, bent to fit the control head. The antenna is mounted above the drivers side rear stake pocket cabled along the frame then through a small hole drilled through the drain grommet under the seat. Power is routed from the battery through the rubber grommet under the dash, a small X cut. The external speaker is under the drivers side dash =hung from a dash mounting screw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RedRiverRam I basically ended up doing the same mount as you. I have the remote head mounted where yours is and mounted the radio under the dash on the drivers side. There is a ton of room under there. I am using a through the glass antenna and I am getting a little noise but it is probably the antenna. Always a crap shoot whith the factory tinted glass with the thru the glas mounts. If it becomes too annoying I will install a regular antenna.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would like to have had the guts to cut where the 2nd switch panel is below the AC controls (RAM) and mount the radio there - saw a pic of someone who'd done that, and I did a similar install on my previous Ford F150 replacing the ash tray, but I just didn't have the inner fortitude to try that - not that good with a Dremmel tool - and I'm happy with what I got. Long gone are the days when you could just bolt up anything to the underside of the dash!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am looking to install an antenna in the bed of my 2012 Big Horn CC for my cb radio; how did you run the cable into the cab?
I have exactly the same question myself! Have you found an answer yet?

I was under the truck looking around and there are a few what looks to be plastic plugs (the uderside of them) that I guess one could use if they drilled a hole in it....but feeling around around the carpet I found that they are covered by a thick sheet of something, I guess used to sound dampening. Hate to drill through that stuff...my truck is a lease and I am looking for the easiest way to go back to stock later as possible...

Only other option far as I can see would be to run the cable all the way up to the firewall and through a grommet there then under the carpet to under my drivers seat where my CB is mounted...but a) not sure if the antenna I am getting will have enough cable and b) my CB is under my drivers seat (its a Cobvra handheld CB with the remote-mount cable interface). Seems like the firewall would be the easiest way although going twice the distance as I would need to otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.