DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up bros. So I saw this amazing video of a dude tweakin his CB radio and I knew I had to call and order one...which I did. So my humble question to high powers of Dodge Ram knowledge is... where the heck do you mount an antenna? I dont really want to drill into the bed, not down with magnets mirrors or windows. I bought a 5/8 wave Firestik thinking there had to be some way of doing this but honestly... I don't see it.

So, tomorrow I am going to drill into my sweet LineX liner and bolt that thing on, unless you have better ideas ...what say you all.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
you need a reflective surface & i don't think the Line-X bedliner fits that description
2 antennas in a chrome bumper would work better
2 antennas mounted in your front stake pockets would also work
1 antenna using a hood mount would work

Personally i don't like the Firesticks, i use the Wilson antennas

If you decide to use the bedliner, get yourself a Zero Ground Plane Antenna, it doesn't need a reflective surface, you could mount it in your garage on a 2X4 & hang it upside down & it would work. they use them on Fiberglass boats & motorcycles

A Wilson Magnetic Mount antenna, like the LIL WIL or Wilson 5000 works real well, just put it in the center of your roof, wind won't blow them off & you have to tilt them sideways to remove them, almost impossible to lift it straight up

I hope that you bought a decent CB, like a good Uniden 78 or Cobra 29

I personally have 6 CBs, Midland, Cobra All IN One, Maxton, Uniden PC78XL, a RANGER 6300, & a piece of junk Uniden PRO 520XL

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'd suggest the hood mount but I don't know if there is one made for 4th gens. Good thing you have a 3rd gen! Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ended up drilling 3 holes in my bedside with a dremel, and got screws that fit it, i used a two dollar L bracket from home depot and it holds it perfectly even driving at high mph's or when i drive it into a parking structure and forget its on haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sorry for the long reply time here but I have been working like crazy. Here is what happened. First I decided to go with GT Yankee's suggestion, suck it up and go magnet. I bought a radio shack magnet antenna and a SWR meter and guess what? There was a short in the Coax. So now I have two antennas and neither work worth a crap. So I take it to 007 CB Shop in TN... great place by the way and buy another one and SWR and it works fine. Not going real far but I am planning on getting that wilson 5000 here in the next few weeks or so. As far as the CB I got was the Midland 75-822 tweaked and peak... its great for now but the Cobra 29 could be mine once I get the Antenna sorted. Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts