DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
I need to install a CB radio for an upcoming road trip. I have the place picked to mount the CB but need suggestion where and what wires I should tap into for power.:4-dontknow:

John

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I modified mine and put a 12V cigarette plug on it, no wires to splice into your new truck and you can take it out when it's not needed.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Which brand & model are you going to install ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I do to the "smokers package" in this truck so using the cigarette plugin idea won't work.
I just installing a small Uniden CB radio, which I figured out how to do, just need to know what circuit and wires to tap into.
Would it be best just to run wires and connect to one of the closet batteries? That would eliminate cutting into wire bundles and possible ruining wires.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I use the battery as my power source
The hot wire has a inline fuse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Duh, on my part. It has been awhile since I hard wired a CB and should have known. How about extra length of antenna wire, cut to length? I know different subject but this should end this thread anyways.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
My current truck has the full floor console & i mounted it inside of the console with a cooling fan blowing onto the CB, but my CB is as large as they get

i had a Chevy 1500 without a floor console & i made a plywood box & wrapped it in light weight carpeting, the box came apart into an upper & lower sections, i could quickly change out radios if i had to
I also put 2 auxiliary switches in the upper part of the box

I am a smoker & i modified a ash tray out of a Camaro to fit into the box
If i didn't smoke, i would have put a hinged lid where the ash tray is & used that area for extra fuses, etc.
It had carpeting on the bottom too, that worked something like velcro on the trucks carpet & the box didn't move at all

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys, If running power directly from the battery it's never a bad idea to fuse BOTH + and - wires as close to the battery as possible... I nearly lost a '76 Jimmy because the previous owner had run the wiring under the door sill plate. Yeah, the radio was protected by the in-line fuse, but the wire that fed into the cab was not! Just a good safety measure.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
the length of the antenna wire can be cut, but it may effect the SWR reading & you would want the best reading that you can get

the antennas height also does the same thing, cutting a 1/2 off of an antenna can make quite a difference

I am currently looking for a CB shop within 100 miles of my place to get my CB set up right for my 2016 Ram, i use it in my business
It is currently in my 2009 Ram, but the antenna & antenna wire is brand new & may need to be laid down in a grid or cut down :4-dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
the length of the antenna wire can be cut, but it may effect the SWR reading & you would want the best reading that you can get

the antennas height also does the same thing, cutting a 1/2 off of an antenna can make quite a difference

I am currently looking for a CB shop within 100 miles of my place to get my CB set up right for my 2016 Ram, i use it in my business
It is currently in my 2009 Ram, but the antenna & antenna wire is brand new & may need to be laid down in a grid or cut down :4-dontknow:
What happened to the guy who did it in your '09? Will he not do a freelance job for you?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I wish that i knew where he was, last i heard he went into the Firearms business & there are 11 independent gun shops within 10 miles of where i live :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
FYI - Anytime you can get away from a "loaded" antenna you will have better results. A mid/top load will work better than a base load (if you have to use a loaded antenna you will want the coil above the top of the cab). The closer your antenna is to the actual wavelength the better performance, bandwidth and SWR you will have. The best performance will come from a 5/8 loaded or 1/4 wave solid antenna on the CB frequencies (solid 109"SS whip). This gets really tricky as one full wavelength is 11 meters long. Top and center is the preferred location since metallic objects affect the radiation pattern. There is always some sort of compromise needed. I use a top loaded antenna at least 4' long mounted in the front bed stake pocket on the driver's side for "tree and brush avoidance". Don't go in 1/4 wave increments for your antenna coax and if you can't separate them by more than 1/4 wavelength don't go with duals. That causes radiation in the cable and poor SWR match. Also never coil the coax in a tight loop. This creates a choke that will electrically kill your RF output & SWR. :smileup:

·
Registered
71 Posts

Let me know if you find a shop. I am moving to east county and am looking for one as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently installed one, but also wanted to be able to remove it if necessary. I moved the fuse F91, I think) that turns the rear 12 volt charger to being hot full time. I then tapped the CB power wire with inline fuse into that line. I bought 2 alligator magnets from Home Depot. I drilled out the center magnet crimp bolt removing the magnet and screwed these to the CB mounting bracket. The alligator type clips perfectly fit over the driver side center console map pocket to hold the CB in place. Keeps it right by my right leg for access to all the controls. Can take a photo later if people wish.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ethosb would love to see some pictures. My county switched to some new tdma 700mhz phase 2 fancy radio system and I am debating mounting a scanner in truck so I can listen on way to work to see who is out and for use when I get called in for dive and tech rescue calls. I hate making it all the way to scene only to be disregarded and not get the message. It is a new system so we are still working out the kinks with notifications for off duty recalls.

·
Registered
52 Posts

GTyankee, maybe this will help. It's Ham Radio Outlet. They have cb radios too. Never been in there, but I pass by it often. I've ordered stuff through them before like mounts and such. Maybe they'll have some stuff for your setup.

Kearny Villa Square, 5375 Kearny Villa Rd #113,
San Diego, CA 92123

http://www.hamradio.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ethosb would love to see some pictures. My county switched to some new tdma 700mhz phase 2 fancy radio system and I am debating mounting a scanner in truck so I can listen on way to work to see who is out and for use when I get called in for dive and tech rescue calls. I hate making it all the way to scene only to be disregarded and not get the message. It is a new system so we are still working out the kinks with notifications for off duty recalls.
I will take and see if I can post some photos tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts