DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings 2014 DR Forum!

Wondering if anyone out there has done this and what if any issues you may have run into. I'm taking my truck in to have a CB Radio installed tomorrow at a place I trust. The best location for the radio appears to be the tray area just below the trailer brake. I pulled the rubber liner out and noticed there is a plastic panel there attached by two screws. Additionally, there is access to the interior of the console on the driver's side via a small plastic door that is easily popped out. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has installed a cb or a ham radio in that spot and if there are any considerations I need to make the tech aware of when it comes to securing the unit? They likely know more about it than I do. I am just a tad concerned about messing up the interior of the vehicle. Based on the dimensions of the cb I purchased it should fit snugly, but am wondering if there is anything for the back of the unit to rest on inside the console? Thanks very much in advance for your help!:smileup:

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Not to long ago there was a post about this ;)

Give the sites user friendly ' Search ' feature a spin :smileup:

And please post up on your installation !

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not installed a CB or ham rig in my 2014 Big Horn yet but would like to install a 2 meter FM radio. My concerns would be; RF getting into the vehicle computer, ignition noise or fuel pump noise?? When I do mount a radio in there, I will wire directly to the battery and place the antenna on the top of the cab. I will most likely drill a hole and do a permanent installation. A mag mount is okay and will work well but the coax becomes unsightly in my opinion. Let us know how it works out and good luck.
PS I would be concerned if you use a linear amp over 50 watts or so.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have not installed a CB or ham rig in my 2014 Big Horn yet but would like to install a 2 meter FM radio. My concerns would be; RF getting into the vehicle computer, ignition noise or fuel pump noise?? When I do mount a radio in there, I will wire directly to the battery and place the antenna on the top of the cab. I will most likely drill a hole and do a permanent installation. A mag mount is okay and will work well but the coax becomes unsightly in my opinion. Let us know how it works out and good luck.
PS I would be concerned if you use a linear amp over 50 watts or so.
That is what I did, NMO on the roof with 1/4 wave 2 meter. Power direct to the battery. No RFI, no alternator wine, no issues at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Monster, a question about your NMO installation........
I assume you ran the coax vertically down and under the door frame between the front and rear doors to keep the cable hidden??
Where did you mount the radio? Where did you bring the DC power through the firewall?
Getting ready for my 2M/440 install and need some pointers.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hello Monster, a question about your NMO installation........
I assume you ran the coax vertically down and under the door frame between the front and rear doors to keep the cable hidden??
Where did you mount the radio? Where did you bring the DC power through the firewall?
Getting ready for my 2M/440 install and need some pointers.
Thanks,
The radio is under the rear drivers' side storage area with control cables running up to the control head which is mounted in the center console. Power is directly from the battery through a large rubber pass-through on the firewall (left of the steering shaft), made a small slit and passed through the power cable. Ran it underneath the door thresholds to the back seat.

Really is a quick install since working on the RAM is easy. The longest part was pondering the decision to pick up the drill and put a 3/4 inch hole in the roof for the NMO. Running the feed line was easy, just pull the door gasket down and loosen up the driver's C pillar cover and route the feedline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts