DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the free bump man. Bump bump bump fine how bout any single cab ram with that style cab then?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm not sure what the dash looks like in an '01, but here's how I mounted a scanner in my '10. I don't see why it couldn't be a CB in the same place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Curious

Upstater has a nice-looking setup there. That looks like my instrument panel. I'd like to know how he fit that scanner in there so nice and neat. Does the panel have a removable cutout or something?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Upstater has a nice-looking setup there. That looks like my instrument panel. I'd like to know how he fit that scanner in there so nice and neat. Does the panel have a removable cutout or something?
There was a small switch panel there but it wasn't tall enough or wide enough for the scanner. I just measured for the opening, cut it out to about an 1/8" of the correct size with a Dremel, then S-L-O-W-L-Y hand filed the rest until the scanner fit nice & snug in the opening. I used the mounting bracket for the scanner and added a wooden block to it for height to mount it to the framework of the dash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upstater, you've got bigger cahones than i. nice install. Wish I were brave enough.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wish I'd seen that Upstater. I'd thought about same install for a small Yeasu business 2-way. In my previous Ford F-150 there was an ashtray there and I cut away a hole in the faux wood panel, then cut the ash tray assembly to hold a Maxxim radio. Looked great. Have same switch panel you mention in my '11 SLT but - where all I screwed up in the Ford was an ash tray assembly (easily replaced) I was worried about screwing up my entire dash facia. Decided instead on a vertical install in the pocket below your install - where I believe your sunglasses are. Try to get some pics up tomorrow. Worked well I will say.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I screwed mine to the ashe tray, was the only good place i could find!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Cobra 18WSTII is a single DIN mount with a front facing speaker so it can be mounted in the dash. I'm currently changing my factory HU to a single DIN HU and putting the Cobra right below it and making my bezel a double DIN. Nice and clean and easy to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have any pics,but in my 06 Megacab dually,I just installed a carpet dash mat and then put Velcro on the mounting bracket.I ran the wires/coax up thru the dash and had them come out at the bottom of the windshield.
I run a Connex 3300HP 10 meter radio that is converted to citizen band,and a Wilson surface mount 5ft whip antenna on the roof of the cab.
The location on top of the dash works great.The radio is easy to reach,out of the way,and can be taken off the bracket and stored away in a matter of minutes.

If I decide to install it in my new PowerWagon,I'll mount it the same way.

You can't really see it,but if you look between the wiper blades,the radio is on top of the dash in this pic.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I made a plywood box that sets on the transmission tunnel in my last 1/2 ton
i made it in 2 sections, bottom & top, they are not attached to each other, just held in place by a plywood key in the shape of an Z, could switch out radios in less than 5 minutes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts