DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has had issues with using a generic OBDII reader? Are they somehow restricted nowadays and you need a more complex reader? Maybe my truck is just messed up more than I know!

I have gotten a CEL twice now in 2 weeks and when I put my reader on it nothing comes up. Says no DTCs.

The first time there was an intermittent "service shifter". Dealer supposedly fixed this now 2 weeks ago.

Tonight intermittent "Service electronic brake system". I already have it parked at the dealer's garage.

Frustrating as I've only owned it for 4 weeks now!!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I've found that with generic code readers they will only read engine related codes. They will not read MFG specific codes like brakes, suspension or transmission. That was the case with my Ford and Hyundai. I haven't had any codes on my Ram but it was mentioned that since the Ram uses the same module (PCM) for the engine and transmission, it should read both. It will take a much more expensive code reader to read all of the codes your Ram can put out.

·
Premium Member
32,734 Posts
If i were to purchase an OBD2 code reader, i would buy a code reader that has the capability to
Display OBD II Drive Cycle Mode

I would buy the Actron CP9670 AutoScanner $177.
Its made by Bosch Automotive Service Solutions

With the Drive Cycle Mode reader, you could check most vehicles to see if it was ready to go in for Emissions Testing
here in California, auto parts stores are not allowed to use the code reader to tell you if a vehicle is ready to be tested

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
My $20 BAFX code reader I got from Amazon will tell me which of my readiness checks have or have not been completed. It's pretty standard on all readers. What mine won't tell me is ABS, traction control, transmission, security or air-bag codes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a cheap Actron CP9125 that can read manufacture codes on my GM car. I dont have any codes on my Ram so I cant say for sure if it works with Chrysler. I know chrysler loves to make after market tuning a nightmare on most hemi engines. But again, idk if thats related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts