DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I normally have much more background on my truck issues than this, but I was just called and told that our 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 has the check engine light on. Not overheating, but barely any coolant. Apparently it's 'yellow/orange'. Don't have a computer on hand to check the code, but I am trying to get one.
There is, allegedly, no other symptoms...

Can the green 'universal' coolant be added for a temporary fix?
The truck isn't even home yet, I'll try and update when it get's here.
It's needed to make a trip of about 130 miles by tomorrow. Or should I just let my mom :doh: drive my Silver 4.7L?
Any input will help you guys...

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
You can add water to the "yellow/orange" coolant to top it off. But, to be safe, I'd let your Mom drive the silver 4.7.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can add water to the "yellow/orange" coolant to top it off. But, to be safe, I'd let your Mom drive the silver 4.7.
Alright RogerRamJet, thanks! (That downgrades me to the Beast a 1996, who has a chronic misfire no one knows how to fix to go to school tomorrow. haha, Despite 'Beast's flaws I love him.)

We're actually heading to get the code read nearby, I'll try and get the code to you guys.

As before stated, coolant extremely low, gauges fine, seems to run fine. My worry is-- where the heck did all of it go? No drip marks or anything...

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
Coolant low? No drips? Check your oil dipstick. If milky, you may have a blown head gasket.

Worst case, but just something to check.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant low? No drips? Check your oil dipstick. If milky, you may have a blown head gasket.

Worst case, but just something to check.
I was pretty scared of that too, Paul. Checked it, nothing. Will keep checking it though...

Not sure what's going on there.

And the codes?
P3400
and
P1521

Due for an oil change, but now it looks like it's an immediate thing.

Now... the fun part. Convince mom that she can't drive her Hemi tomorrow. AND part with Silver for a trip to school. :(
Blahhhhhhh, shitty timing...

Any new thoughts because of these codes?

·
Registered
56 Posts
P3400 - either low oil pressure, or restricted oil passage, engine mechanical condition, or mds solenoid fault.

P1521 - Incorrect oil type

They are most likely related to each other I'm guess.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P3400 - either low oil pressure, or restricted oil passage, engine mechanical condition, or mds solenoid fault.

P1521 - Incorrect oil type

They are most likely related to each other I'm guess.
Thanks for the decode, wpattie!

The codes were definitely interesting to me. Not sure where they decided to come from...

Either way, the Hemi is getting hauled to the mechanic as soon as we get the chance... (Though I may have to hide the keys to ensure it stays parked... :doh: )
I'm assuming it's unwise to drive it, simply to be safe...

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Unwise, indeed. You're a smart gal, Kelsey. Let the techs take a look at it so they can figure where the coolant went and why the codes popped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The yellowish coolant could be caused by a leak in the transmission cooler.

EDIT: This is from past experience with my Subaru... I am not 100% our rams use the same transmission cooling. But thats exactly what my coolant looked like in my suby when the tranny cooler was leaking trans fluid into the cooling system.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The yellowish coolant could be caused by a leak in the transmission cooler.

EDIT: This is from past experience with my Subaru... I am not 100% our rams use the same transmission cooling. But thats exactly what my coolant looked like in my suby when the tranny cooler was leaking trans fluid into the cooling system.
Definitely some info to chew on, though I must admit that while I want to learn to do most, if not all, of my own maintenance (regular at least), this stuff...this here is uncharted waters--here there be monsters!

Unwise, indeed. You're a smart gal, Kelsey. Let the techs take a look at it so they can figure where the coolant went and why the codes popped.
Thanks Roger!
Yessir, this one is being left to the techs. Praying it's an easy fix.
Wish I could do it myself, but there's no way in heck. Maybe someday, but certainly not by tomorrow!

Ah, well. Here's hoping the Beast cooperates for the trip to school! Though after his dose of Seafoam, he's definitely doing better. :smileup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Ah, the joys of waiting. Mechanic doesn't have an opening until 'Tuesday or Wednesday'. Hopefully I will have more information by then. :doh:
Thanks again for all your suggestions and posts, guys! :smileup:

Go Dodge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts