DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my center seat pulled out today to start the process of building my center console sub box. I have done this on two other trucks. One being a 97 dodge for my friend, and one being my 08 f150.

I see alot of dodge owners doing this on here as well. Unfortunately, my truck for some reason has the airbag control module mounted on the floor there. Has anyone else had this and did you have any issues relocating it to another area?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Would it take up too much air space to just build the box "above" or rasied over the controller? I cant imagine its much more than an inch or so tall??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it take up too much air space to just build the box "above" or rasied over the controller? I cant imagine its much more than an inch or so tall??
Unfortunately the top of it is flush with the seat mounting brackets and its about 4"x4" square. My concern of moving it is that its not just bolted to the floor, it has a special cutout in the floor its mounted to and has a ground cable coming from the harness going to a seperate bolt next to the box.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
i relocated the boc in my SS before, but I have never messed with it in these trucks to be honest.

I dont se why it wouldnt work if you were careful?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
If you do move it, I would just make very sure you unhook the battery and make sure there is absolutely no power to anything, but I agree with SS4Luck, I doubt u have any issues moving it to a different location.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
unhook the battery wait 15 or 20 minutes because if i remember right they are or have capacitors in them and then pull the fuses that control those circuits and voila you can tear into your system without worry an airbag will punch you in the side of the face

·
Registered
611 Posts
You better find out if the control module has sensors in it before messing with it! Does your truck have side airbags of any kind? Check with the dealer to see if the truck has front and side sensors separately. If it does you should be ok but really you shouldnt be messing with it at all. If someone gets hurt in your truck you are on the hook big time. On a 06 it probably doesnt but if it does you could throw off your airbag timing. Picture your face smashing the steering wheel then the bag deploys...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You better find out if the control module has sensors in it before messing with it! Does your truck have side airbags of any kind? Check with the dealer to see if the truck has front and side sensors separately. If it does you should be ok but really you shouldnt be messing with it at all. If someone gets hurt in your truck you are on the hook big time. On a 06 it probably doesnt but if it does you could throw off your airbag timing. Picture your face smashing the steering wheel then the bag deploys...
That's probably a good idea. I'll call the service department tomorrow. I really don't want to create issues with this module. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I called the service department today. They told me that it's possible to move the module but they don't recommend it because they have seen scenarios where these modules get moved and quit working or get damaged and are very expensive to replace..

mmm.... well, guess I'm lifting the box up a little to be sure to clear the module..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts