DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this idea came to me the other day and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it... I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom of the center console to make it into a cooler. It holds over a 12 pack plus ice but I need a way to drain it. Has anyone tried this or tried drilling a hole in the bottom and adding a drain plug?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It would be cool but I normally take a cooler with me on the rare occasion I can't pull over to get a drink or hang out with a cooler in the truck bed. If you do make it into a cooler make sure to share your experience with everyone here. Cool!

E

·
0 Posts
Interesting idea. I'd put in a hose fitting you can hook a hose to and drain to the outside of the truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my only problem is that water will always follow the path of least resistance, so if you don't have a tube or something diverting the water out of the console out under the truck, simply popping open a plug is gonna cause that water to seep under the console and onto the carpet...sure most will go out the hole under the truck, you just want to make sure that ALL goes out under the truck.

Does that make sense?? :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I just use the 2 floor coolers in the back or I bring a real cooler.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sounds like a great idea for the next road trip!!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Lol i had thought about that a few times... but for the amount id use it it would be too much work and likely land me with an impaired.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
just put in a garbage bag as a liner. then when the ice melts, remove the bag and pour it out

·
Registered
195 Posts
yah bro, why do this when there are 2 coolers in the back of the cab. oh wait maybe you dont have the same model. but the 2 coolers in the back work great for my needs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that is pretty pricey...I do have the coolers in the floor in the back... but almost impossible to reach if you don't have someone back there or pull over...give me a week or two and I'll let ya know how this little experiment goes :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah that is pretty pricey...I do have the coolers in the floor in the back... but almost impossible to reach if you don't have someone back there or pull over...give me a week or two and I'll let ya know how this little experiment goes :smiley_thumbs_up:
If you're going to experiment you might try working some insullation into the plan.

·
Premium Member
32,734 Posts
the full floor center console would work as a cooler

if i remember right, the crew cabs have the 2 floor compartments, both have drains, they hold a 6 pak & ice

would it be so hard to use the same type drains in a full floor center console?

no shut off valve, just a drain tube

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
when I pcs'd from SC to NM we picked up a little cooler/console/ that plugs into the cig lighter and it's heated/cooled...holds like 8 cans...only paid like 60 bucks I think...but that was back in '06...it was like this little guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this idea came to me the other day and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it... I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom of the center console to make it into a cooler. It holds over a 12 pack plus ice but I need a way to drain it. Has anyone tried this or tried drilling a hole in the bottom and adding a drain plug?
Youll become an instant hero.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts