DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :Hey:, ive got a 2011 hemi. Basically what happens is if there is no strain on the motor and I have my windows down I can hear a ticking sound very similar to a bicycle coasting without pedaling As soon as I touch the gas it dissapears. Also no tick at idle, And Putting the transmission in the TRS mode and driving in 5th gear, no sound at coast down.

Selecting Tow/Haul mode, no sound at coast down.

Putting the transmission into neutral, the sound disappears.

In normal driving mode the sound disappears at around 1200 RPM regardless of road speed.

The common factor with all four is the MDS. (MDS is off in neutral, Tow/Haul mode, TRS mode, and at or just above idle. I specifically watched the ECO indicator and sure enough when the ECO indicator goes off on coast down, the noise disappears.

some of people say its the timing chain tensioner or the timing belt chain itself and some say its the camshaft, or MDS lifters.

here's a video the the problem exact same problem : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTahQGKNRck

please am hopeless dealerships cant figure it out everytime they tell me somethin.

HELPP! :4-dontknow:

Dodge ram 1500 2011 5.7L
65.000 miles on it
out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Mine's never done that so I would say not normal. I don't see how that could possibly be related to MDS

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
What do you mean by MDS obsession?

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
On what i heard is that noise doesn't happen to ram 2013 and up.. that problem mostly 2009,2010,2011,2012.

BUMP
Dad's 2009 Hemi Ram 1500 4x2 doesn't do that :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What it could be the problem then? Camshaft? Timing chain tensioner? MDS? Dealerships tells me something every time I visit them... I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
15,593 Posts
op, i have no idea what it could be, but fairly certain its not the mds. i had a similar noise on a gmc truck, turned out to be the muffler rubbing on the drive shaft as the exhaust hangers were no longer tight.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
This aprox the 4th or 5th thread where someone posts a seriesof symptoms and out of the blue start to blame the MDS.....just because.:doh:

Oh, yes I agree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have this exact same problem in my 2011 Dodge ram 5.7 Hemi. A couple of the exhaust manifold bolts are broken off the head on the passenger side and when I am coasting the heat shield that covers the manifold is flapping up against the manifold. You just don't notice when you give it gas because this motor is so loud. I will be changing these bolts and gasket soon and I will let you know the result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have this exact same problem in my 2011 Dodge ram 5.7 Hemi. A couple of the exhaust manifold bolts are broken off the head on the passenger side and when I am coasting the heat shield that covers the manifold is flapping up against the manifold. You just don't notice when you give it gas because this motor is so loud. I will be changing these bolts and gasket soon and I will let you know the result.
Thanks alot bro since am out of warranty I don't want to pay for things doesn't help everytime some one tells me something, please inform us about the issue when it's done, a mutual friend told he had the same problem and changed timing chain and tensioner and camphaser the sound is gone. That will cost alot you know. :Wow1:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have the same problem man. 2011 sport qc 140 k. dealership and 2 other mechanics couldn't figure it out.. last manifold is bolt broke on driver side but its quiet and there is no tick at all on start up. only on coast down in mds can i hear it and it is embarrassing. i have read for 20+ hours online about this. and im almost certain its mds as well. these are known to have some lifter issues but im leaning toward timing chain guides. similar year hemi cars all had recalls on the tc which makes me suspicious for the trucks as well. i have also read that mds can put slack on the tc which wears the guides and causes the noise. the only way i can think to verify is going to be to put the truck on stands up and get the wife to reciprocate the ticking while i use a stethoscope from underneath to pin point where the issue is. in fear of grenading the motor i have the mds turned off with a diablosport and hemifever tune. any more input on this would be great guys. plz help.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
RamTech said that he has not seen a Ram that had the manifolds planed after warping return for manifold bolt breakage again. I would have that done if I was gettign my bolts replaced, especially out of warranty.

I am going to get my timing chain changed at 100,000 miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have this same issue with my '11 ram 1500....did you figure out what the issue was?

Yes sorry I forgot to post it, its timing chain and timing chain tensioner the 5th generation dodge ram I mean 2013 and up has better chain tensioner so that's why it does the noise. Change your chain and tensioner me my mechanic took us 3 days straight to figure out the problem.:smileup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after all it isn't MDS, but MDS does play the part for that noise, but btw the noise is normal yes like I said it doesn't do or damage anything, so if you're fine with the noise don't change it I paid 1200$ just to remove that noise btw " timing chain, tensioner, and guide"

1 - 20 of 58 Posts