DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just so we are clear, this noise causes no damage and you did all of that work to fix that noise? How many miles? I have 6k miles on mine now and no weird noises yet. What can be done to prevent this? I thought I read on here that Pennzoil 5w-20 dyno oil was factory fill and seemed to keep these engines the quietest?

·
Registered
15,593 Posts
Yes, Pennzoil Dino is the factory fill. Over the years I have read that some noises can be fixed with different oils, though usually a synthetic oil. The only I can say from experience is that Mobil 1 made my engine noisey so I went bank to Pennzoil platinum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 ram chain noise

I have a 2011 sport and it makes the exact noise you're talking about! i took it to 2 different shops and they couldn't figure it out, a buddy took it to his shop and said it was the cv shaft and stub axle shaft . I changed both and the noise is still there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine has over 120K miles on it. Upon swapping to non-MDS lifters, this noise is gone.

Manually put it in gear 5 and you likely won't hear this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update

hey guys. checking in after the timing chain overhaul. has been about 7k since the doing the repair and so far so good, no ticking noise while coasting :smileup:

Parts for the overhaul was 600 give or take with a grand total of around 1700 after parts labor and taxes. parts all supplied from rock auto except for cam phaser, i went straight to dealer for that. Weird there was no OEM water pumps available for some reason. they had 1400 on back order with no date in sight... i did not want to but ended up getting an aftermarket water pump. Install went well. only complaint is a slight whine on start up now that goes away after 2-3 minutes.

I kept all parts that were replaced to inspect for damages or wear and none was noted.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey guys. checking in after the timing chain overhaul. has been about 7k since the doing the repair and so far so good, no ticking noise while coasting :smileup:
Awesome!

Parts for the overhaul was 600 give or take with a grand total of around 1700 after parts labor and taxes. parts all supplied from rock auto except for cam phaser, i went straight to dealer for that.
I suspect your chain, guide and tensioner were fine. The real culprit was the cam phaser.

I kept all parts that were replaced to inspect for damages or wear and none was noted.
Did you disassemble the cam phaser? Sloppy or broken springs?

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Probably a chain tensioner; they're plastic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for this thread, have the same problem and great to get the answers! Am going to do the repairs, trying to find replacement 'cam phaser' without any luck on rock auto, do they call it something else, could it be the VVT actuator?

·
Registered
25 Posts
By way of a confirmation, I've just turned off MDS with a diablosport and the noise has stopped. So I guess the MDS does cause slack in the timing chain etc. Don't know what difference it'll make to fuel economy, but much cheaper than the quote I had for 16hours in the shop + parts for the timing chain and cam phaser work

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I'm not sure how those could be related

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well it's been suggested earlier in this thread that the MDS somehow can cause slack in the timing chain, hence wear on tensioner/guide etc. Maybe it's purely the MDS causing the noise

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Yeah I just don't see how, since the chain runs off the front of the cam and it shouldn't matter if 8 or 16 lifters are pumped up. Maybe its a matter of oil pressure to the front of the cam since MDS does relate to oil pressure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting side effect of turning MDS off - I used to get a hesitation / rough running at around 1400-1500 rpm, when cruising, felt like truck didn't know whether to change up/down, this would clear with a little more throttle. This has also gone with MDS turned off

Obviously I'm pleased about this, but can anyone explain what was going on here? Was it maybe the MDS hesitating between turning 4 cyl off/on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 RAM 1500 sport. Had it used for almost 2 years. Always did the oil myself but didn't feel like crawling in the snow /mud this last December. Took it to the local quick change and put in Castrol full synthetic and a "premium" filter. Drove it for about 5000km when I started noticing a random tick. Turned off the radio to listen to the tick while driving. That's when I noticed the MDS rattle. Took it to the shop to diagnose but they couldn't figure it out. Definitely related to the activation of the MDS. Spent a few hours on the net reading and found a post about replacing oil and filter. Figured it was cheap and easy enough to do, so I did. Did the oil myself and the noise was gone immediately. It's been over 7k km and that noise has not come back; however, I have the tick now. One thing I noticed was the oil pressure gauge never fluctuated with Rpms with the quick change oil as it does when I change it. Oil filter restriction? Poor oil viscosity? I don't know. I just wanted to share my experience.

Not happy about the tick and wish I could prove it was bad oil or filter. Oh well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 had the exact same chain noise while coasting. I replaced the timing chain set and the cam phaser and noise was gone 100%. It's been 50k miles since and the noise has not returned. I did switch to RedLine oil and Royal Purple filter after I replaced the lifters when I had a roller start to go bad.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts